Potatoes in my compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes in my compost

I seem to have potatoes growing like mad in my compost. Quite odd seeing as I only compost the peelings, never chunks for potato, but I have since been told they can even grow from a little bit of peeling ( )

Anyway, I've given up trying to kill them by pulling the stem off so am leaving them in peace...

I have no idea what variety they may have been but has anyone before ended up with a worthy crop from potatoes growing out of compost?

Presuming they don't have blight (how would I spot blight anyway?) will they ruin my compost by draining it of nutrients?

Oddly enough I meant to buy some seed pots this year and totally forgot, that's why I'm not fussed them staying there if they're worth it?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Hi Shortie,

That's strange.... I compost potato peelings galore and have never had a spud growing in my compost! I even have thrown out whole (slightly soggy/wrinkly) spuds in the compost and as of yet.... never had one grow

I did however... have 3 avacado plants growing in my compost bin when I was emptying it recently - I suppose that's what I should expect from throwing the avacado stone in whole!!

Slug

Comment

Hi Shortie, I think this has happened in my compost bin as well. Mine are plastic 'Dalek' types with lids on though so I have some spindly white stems growing up in them (no light to make them green) & the only thing I can think of is that they are from potato peelings. Bob Flowerdew grows lots of potatoes by dividing his seed potatoes up into tiny pieces so I suppose it will work from peelings if you happen to have put in the bit where the chits grow from. You could always feel around in the compost & see if there are any potatoes there but I would imagine they will ony be tiny.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I haven't got the potatoes in my compost Shortie but I have found them growing in the garden in places where i've spread the compost. What I do have growing on the compost heap is Fuchsias and Buddlia. How lucky.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

This has happened to me a few times - your peelings are too thick - you naughty boy! Wasting such lovely mash! Be sent to the back of the class . I try to avoid composting peelings because in the dalek bins they do tend to warm up and shoot and then you keep getting them - so I no longer compost them unless I've chopped them up well with a spade.
          Best wishes
          Andrewo
          Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

I have loads of potato shoots in my compost bin. Always have done. I do chuck pretty big bits in though. I always just pull the stems off, have never tried seeing if I get any potatoes,

Comment

I get spuds every year in my compost. They are usually very nice for baking as they are nice and warm and can grow lovely and clean.

dunno if they do any harm to the compost.

We usually eat the spuds though

Comment

I have tattie shoots coming out of my compost heap, mine is the wood slatted type, so the shoots can find their way out. I also have found a beetroot growing, I threw out the whole thing as it had gone soggy and bad, but the thing is growing quite happy!! I have managed to grow 2 apple seedlings from the seeds of an apple I was eating, have tried before, but it never happened. Will these be any good?? When ever I go to my compost heap my best chicken comes with me, she enjoys the flies and beetles and bugs that run around after I lift the carpet, she may be my favorite, but she doesn't get to play in my wormery!!!

Comment

Hi Andrewo

Yup, they're both dalek bins.... The shoots are poking throught the bottom hatch door and forces their way out of the top

If there's no harm to the compost I'll keep going with them.

My pelings are quite think now you mention it, but it's the only peeler I've gotten on with so would begrudge changing it... maybe it's a good excuse for more tatties next year too?
                  Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

We never peel our potatoes, we pull 'em straight from the garden, wash 'em, cook 'em & eat 'em. No waste, much quicker & much tastier!

Comment

PS - To earlier email.

My wife says they absorb less water and retain more vitemins

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X