Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beetroot

Hi all
    this is the second year that i have trid to grow beetroot i have sown them strait into the soil, which was fertalised the winter before they germonated but never got bigger than marbles.This year i have started them in 3" pots and will transfer them when harden to the same plot. any help please or i will have to lable the as a no go for me THANKS

I have found that beetroot likes light, well drained soil and enjoys a little shade in very hot conditions. It's not - theoretically - one of the harder vegetables to grow, but who cares about the theory when it doesn't work!!

What is your soil like? How close are you growing the plants? Did you notice any problems with the leaves last time?

Comment

We have only ever grown the Boltardy variety. We have a clay soil with loads of compost mixed in, and we had a nice big crop last year.
      We had to give away loads of jars of pickled beetroot last year to friends.

What I do know is that they like space to grow. The type we grow will grow to about 4" in diameter so we sow the seed 5" apart.

Also, the seed isn't really a seed, well not for the type we grow. It is in fact a small dried fruit with several seeds attached to it.
      You still sow it in the normal way but wait until all seeds have germinated then pick out the unwanted ones, levaing just one in each space.

Another thing to consider, you say that you are growing them in pots then transplanting them.
      Idealy, any root plant shoudn't be transplanted and should be sown straight in the ground, so be carefull not to move the root too much when transplanting them. And also don't firm the soil around them too much either.

Another thing we did, once the root started to swell, was to water them regularly. Little and often is better, rather than waiting until the soil is dry then soaking them.
      Last edited by Mike and Louise; 11-04-2008, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Started mine last year (Boltardy) in cell trays. Transplanted onto lottie about 6" apart. Best crop ever. Still got two jars of pickled beet left.

Comment

I transplant them as well but use fibre or paper pots so they just get popped in the soil. Wouldn't like to have to upend them out of ordinary pots though but ones that degrade in the soil seem to work fine for them.
          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
            I transplant them as well but use fibre or paper pots so they just get popped in the soil. Wouldn't like to have to upend them out of ordinary pots though but ones that degrade in the soil seem to work fine for them.
            Sue
            Yes you can use peat pots or similar that rot down too.
            I think someone on here mentioned old toilet roll tubes that had the bottom folded over to stop the compost falling out. These are then put straight into the ground because they rot down.

I feel it's just a bit dodgy when it comes to transplanting any root veg because of the possible damage that could be caused to the root during transplanting.

Comment

Not that great to grow here in Spain, but if they fail I love the leaves (before they get too tough) in salads.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutecumber View Post
                I have found that beetroot likes light, well drained soil and enjoys a little shade in very hot conditions. It's not - theoretically - one of the harder vegetables to grow, but who cares about the theory when it doesn't work!!

What is your soil like? How close are you growing the plants? Did you notice any problems with the leaves last time?
                Just to follow on from Cutecumber, my growing patch is in partial shade. For the last two years, I've grown boltardy and the roots that got more sun grew twice the size of the ones grown in partial shade.
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X