Onions bolting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions bolting

Went down to the allotment today and several of my onions have started growing seed heads - I take it that this isn't good news? Will snapping the seed heads off save the onions or is it too late?

Also, what has caused them to do this - too much or too little watering or is is just one of those things? Would be good to know so I can be better prepared next year!

Hehe.. I'm sorry I can't help you with your onion question, but I just wanted to say that I did a double take when I saw your thread... I thought, 'I don't remember posting that! I don't even have any onions!'

Good choice of username!

Comment

Lesley Jay had noticed that you have similar log on names. One of you is Sweet Pea and the other is Sweet_Pea. We were waiting to see if both of you posted. Not all Grapes post. Some are happy to watch from the sidelines
      If one of you would like to change your name a little that may make things easier. you could become Red Sweet Pea or Sweet Pea Pod or even a new name completely? Sweet Pea from Sheffield does have the prior claim.
      PM me if either of you wish to alter it a little.

Comment

Hi Sweet Pea from York

I noticed the same user name too a few weeks back but wondered if you were the same Person. Obviously not...

The bolting onions. I think it's caused by sudden hot dry spells and not enough watering..?
        Last edited by Shortie; 17-06-2006, 09:09 PM.
        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Hello Sweet Pea, Whichever one you are. I think bolting is caused by any sudden change in climatic conditions - to hot, too cold, too wet, too dry. Once it has happened there is nothing you can do but get rid of the bolted plants and replant the space. It's not your fault and I don't think there is anything you can do except maybe water in dry conditions if that was the problem. But plants also bolt if you run into very wet conditions. I would replant the space and good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

A couple of my onions did this and I simply cut the offending stalks off and they seem to be fine
            www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Hehe.. I think it's a case of great minds thinking alike! Funny how we are geographically quite close too. Anyway - I'm happy to become sweet_pea_pod (I rather like that in fact!) - I've sent you a PM Jaxom!

Good luck with the onions Sweet Pea! I planted some onion seeds a while back but I think the birds ate them

Comment

hi sweet pea
                a lot of my onions bolted last year, think its due to lack of water i just cut the heads off and they were fine. Read in a book if they have bolted they will be no good for storing but fine to eat as you lift them.

Comment

If your onions have bolted and you cut off the flower stalk, do they keep growing? Or do you use them immediately?
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

northeasts right.The onions just wont store, but they ok to eat as you harvest.Manda leave them in the ground,but if start to soften use straight away.I can't remember if they carried on growing or not to be honest!

Comment

the onions will be fine they will grow to normal size then you will have to eat them as you harvest, they wont keep very long week to weeks maybe

Comment

Thanks chaps/esses? - my red baron (curse you!) have been bolting, but have been tasty, will leave any others in the ground longer in future.
                        To see a world in a grain of sand
                        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

it's my red Baron that are bolting too. I have three types growing but the other two are fine.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys - it's mainly red baron that's bolting on my patch too!! Guess I'd better head down there today and get snapping! It rained last night after a dry spell so hopefully that will stop any others following suit.

Sorry for pinching your name Sweet Pea (Pod!) - sincerest form of flattery though!! Thought it may have told me when I registered that that name was already taken but obvioulsy not.

Comment

My red baron onions bolted last year & I just snapped the flower heads off & left them in the ground but they didn't get much bigger but tasted fine. It's a problem when the weather is too hot & they don't get watered often enough. Red onions are more prone to bolting than others especially if they aren't heat-treated sets.
                              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X