Aubergines

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aubergines

I have some Aubergine seedlings that I have grown, they are about 1inch tall and not looking very happy, pale and pasty in fact, they are not really growing very well either.
    they are in a heated propagator set at 16 deg.
    Any help would be good.

They are slow starters in my experience.

If you can, turn the heat up to 20. Keep them damp but not wet, and make sure they are ventilated but not in a cold draft.

Are they getting plenty of light?

Comment

Mine (8 Feb sown) got hardened off quite soon after they sprouted when they were moved to the unheated greenhouse except during frosty nights. I have noticed that they're the slowest to grow compared with peppers and tomatoes esp the latter breeze ahead.

I can't understand why yours are growing so slowly despite such high temperature unless it's the light they're missing out on. I did notice that they spent a long time doing absolutely nothing as 1 inch plant and now they've only just starting to break out with 2nd set of leaves.

I think I'd move them out if they're so unhappy looking and even harden off but be gentle.
      Last edited by veg4681; 27-03-2008, 11:43 AM.
      Food for Free

Comment

I sowed some aubergines in mid Jan and one of them is now my largest plant, about 6" tall with a really healthy set of leaves. It germinated in a heater propogator but has been on the window ledge ever since and now moved out to a conservatory. It was sown in a tiny newspaper pot and then potted on to a 3" pot about a month ago. However, another seed set at the same time is much smaller (these are both Black Beauty) as is my Ichican plant. Sowed some De Barbentane in Feb and these have pretty much caught up with the slower growing ones.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

HF,

I sowed my aubergines on the 25 jan '08 they are: Ping Tung and Baby Rosanna. the PT has 100% germinantion, the Rossana only 1 germinated (of 2 seeds). the PT grow really slow (6cm tall, with 4 true leaves) as for the Rosanna, it is 13 cm with 7 big leaves (sturdy little plant).
          They were all germinated without propagator and has been living at the window-sill since germinated. I think the growth has something to do with the varieties too (judging from mine). I hope your Aubergine improves. If it is really that bad, sow 2 or more seeds as back up. Good luck
          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Here is a picture of aubergines taken about a week ago, the leave have almost doubled in size since it was taken.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

What variety of aubergines are they on your photo, Crichmond, the leaves look much more wavey than types I've grown?

PS - like your HMV plant, what are the fruits like?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                What variety of aubergines are they on your photo, Crichmond, the leaves look much more wavey than types I've grown?

PS - like your HMV plant, what are the fruits like?
                The aubergines are black beauty T&M, I planted fairy tale at the same time but they are not even half that size.

The hmv fruits are ok but I think they must need cooking as the are very crunchy and for some reason the all have a hole in the middle...

Cheers Chris
                Last edited by crichmond; 27-03-2008, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Interesting, my black beauty's don't look like that, will take a piccie when I get the chance and post for comparison.

Comment

I suppose the very large leaf development might be because I am using grow lights and also the hydro unit with constant drip feed. It will be interesting to compare your pictures.

Comment

I know this question isn't bout aubs but what is the orange stuff in the pots with your toms?
                      "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde."
                      Dolly Parton.

Comment

They are Hydrotron Clay pebbles, they are used instead of soil in a hydro system.
                        Last edited by crichmond; 27-03-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

They are clay pellets - used in soil free growing systems.

Comment

oh so do you get better results?
                            "I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde."
                            Dolly Parton.

Comment

I dont know it the first time I have used the system.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X