Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What could be eating my french beans?

Hi

i planted my french beans a few weeks ago. I've protected them from the frost successfully, but something is nibbling the leaves. I don't think it's slugs, what else could it be at this time of year?

Tracey
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

slugs and snails do like them!
    Might be wrong but I think it's a little early for french beans.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I'm not going to be planting my French beans until mid to late March but suppose it depends on where you live and what level of protection you can give them. As you say, they are very suseptible to frost.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I always say to my OH 'I don't think it is slugs' and it flipping well always is - little blighters. Usually the really little ones.

Comment

Could be voles and mice.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Mice like nibbling but I guess its the little white slugs.........bit early for french beans isnt it? I aint even sown mine!
            Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I won't even be sowing my Frenchies until April - planting out in May. They are tender and won't be happy sitting in cold wet soil. Sorry.

BTW, yes it's most likely slugs. I picked some little ones off my cabbages today.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I also think it is slugs (maybe french slugs?) and I also think they shouldn't be out so young! They'll grow much stronger and better in May and will therefore be better able to withstand the attacks.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

The broadies I planted last november are mostly up, and their leaves are already being nibbled by vine weavil. This looks like little u-shaped bits cut out of the edges of the leaves.

Any chance it might be this?
                  Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
                  I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post
                    The broadies I planted last november are mostly up, and their leaves are already being nibbled by vine weavil. This looks like little u-shaped bits cut out of the edges of the leaves.

Yes, that's what it look like. How can I 'organicaly' eliminate them?

Michael Pollan

Comment

There's an RHS link with a bit more info here.

You can also get a natural nematode here.
                      Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
                      I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Thanks for the link

Michael Pollan

Comment

I agree it's a weevil, but I think it's more likely pea and bean weevil rather than vine weevil. I'm not sure the nematode will do you any good if it's not vine weevil.

And yes, just to add to the majority verdict... it's darn early for french beans

Comment

Originally posted by The Doctor View Post

Prob pea & bean weevil (Sitona lineatus) http://www.entomart.be/nouveaux/NEO-...itonalinea.jpg , not vine weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) http://dereila.ca/dereilaimages/Beetle5.jpg

No chemical control needed - walk along the beans and shake the beetles off into a jug. Crush the blighters under your boot.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Pesky weevils, some are nibbling the sweet peas on our allotment too.

On the plus side chickens love them, so if you find any Tracey, at least your girls will be happy!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X