carrots and beetroot - start again ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrots and beetroot - start again ?

I planted short rows of Nantes and Boltardy in mid feb under small cloches; I've not seen anything come through yet.
    Then... on Thursday, the wind ripped apart the cloches leaving no cover, and now the beds are covered in snow !
    Should I should gently dig out the top inch or so of bedding to remove the seeds and replant when we see the back of this snow ? Or if I leave them, might they still come through ?

Leave them. They've got two choices!
    I personally think Feb is about 2 months too early for carrot and beetroot, but you never know.
    PS. Where in the country are you? It would help with advice if you put something in your profile. Be as vague as you like, just a county.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi
      I'd pop the cloche back on; sow a few more seeds if you think that you need to but don't disturb the top. Look at the easy carrot method in the growing techniques section, and sow some indoors just in case they are disturbed; but more than likely they will emerge on their own.

Comment

Leave them be - you could sow a few more of the same seeds in the same place if you really feel they've had it. You really don't need to remove the old seeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X