How do I delay potatoes chitting?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I delay potatoes chitting?

My maincrop potatoes are chitting too much. I can't plant them yet as my beds having been built yet. How can I delay them?

Tracey
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

How do you mean chitting too much? If they are developing long sprouts then you have them in too dark a spot - move them to a brighter place.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Long sprouts, how light should I keep them? Is the windowsill ok?

Michael Pollan

Comment

Mine are on the breakfast bar in the kitchen - close enough to windows to get lots of light but no direct sun to overheat them.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Thanks Shirley.

Michael Pollan

Comment

No worries - it is what the vine is for
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Shirley have you planted any of your potato containers yet?

Comment

I've been keeping mine in the garage as I haven't had any news on my lottie yet; just been told today:
                they might have 3 plot, they might have 7
                i might be no 2 on the list, i might not be
                they have had to put out to tender the rotavating and clearing and haven't had any bids yet
                still waiting to proceed as his chairman hasn't responded to the letter yet
                it is going to be May before I have a plot; at the earliest.

which means I will have very late spuds this year.

going to get some into the composter/temporary potato bed 2008 over the weekend but sheesh - how slow???

I've got a garage full of cardboard waiting to go down - the OH isn't going to be happy [best cook him my signature curry tonight to make up for it].

I was intending to snap any long chits off [back to the topic] if they get too long; but as mine are in the cold garage it seem to be haulting their growth. Can you put them somewhere a little lighter and cooler for the next few weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by NSB View Post
                  Shirley have you planted any of your potato containers yet?
                  I planted one Charlotte very early and kept it in the house - it is now outdoors and the shaws are about a foot high, good and strong with lots of leaves growing. I put a Vales Emerald in about 2 weeks ago and it has been outside - nothing showing on that one yet. Hoping to get a lot more in over the easter period. Also aim to get some Golden Wonder in the ground - hope the blight stays away this year.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

My Arran Pilot and Lady Christl (One of each) have reachd the thop of their pots - kept in the greenhouse - and are staring to put on a bit of height. The pots are wrapped in bubble wrap to be sure. 3 Anyas in a huge pot are also just breaking the surface but need another couple of earthing-ups yet! All exciting stuff!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X