Ground cover around raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground cover around raspberries

The first thing I managed to get onto my new lottie at the tail-end of last year were some raspberry canes. I have 4 rows, about 15 feet long, with 6 foot or so between rows. At present the area between rows is bare earth, and whilst this wasn't a problem during winter, now the canes have started to grow, so have the weeds, and every time I'm down on the plot, I have to spend 10 minutes hoeing the bed when I could be digging more ground over for crops.

I understand that weeding is all part and parcel of gardening, but when it comes to raspberries I do feel a bit peeved that I have to spend time weeding an area I'm not growing on, just walking over. What would be the best way of covering the area. I do have access to bales of straw, and considered mulching around the canes and then expanding to cover the whole area, but i doubt the straw would stay there for long. Do any grapes have suggestions? Any groundcover would be nice, but I suppose that because raspberries are shallow rooting, anything i planted would be in competition with my crop, and therefoe reduce yields?

Cheers in advance...

Old leaves/mulch or chipped wood will work.
    I plant lettuces along the south facing side of one row.. BUT got to be early sown as in summer it turns very dry and new rasps crowd them.

Comment

Hi
      I'm planning on using newspaper, better than cardboard at fitting over the ridge then covering with mulch. It will also help keep the ground moist - if we ever get the ground dried out that is.
      Sue

Comment

I was thinking about growing dwarf french beans in front of my raspberries this year, but I have enough room for more rasps to go in next winter (when I can afford or propagate them!) The beans will fix nitrogen in the soil which won't do the rasps any harm! If I don't do that I'll use cardboard covered with straw - the straw doesn't move much if you water it down.

Comment

I aquired a load of chipped wood from a friend and have put a nice thick mulch around mine. So far the only thing that has popped up is a stray tulip!
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I've planted some lettuce in front of them the past few years and they've done OK although a bit slower than ones with more natural light.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

After HOURS with a hand fork last weekend getting out every blasted buttercup, I'm using cardboard for the larger 'bare' areas covered in straw/old hay and will be using grass clippings as well, (once it's dry enough to mow the lawn that is)
              Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

I've recently planted some raspberry long canes I was given and filled an area 4 foot X 10 foot.
                It's still bare soil at the mo but I thought about growing low growing Tagetes which are fairly drought tolerent, ornamental, attract hoverfles for pollination purposes and the foliage stinks so must repel something or other!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X