Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bramley Apples

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a bramley apple tree from Lidl. Could anyone tell me what other apple tree I need to plant near it for pollination please.

Thank you kindly:

Hope this helps.

An apple or crab apple in a neighbours garden will suffice as a pollinator. Good varieties for pollinating a Bramley Apple include Discovery, James Grieve and Elstar.

Harvest from September onwards.
    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

The ones I got from Aldi told you what the pollinators were on the front of the packaging! It may be worth checking!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I love crab apples - not quite as useful as a conventional eating apple but really pretty and great for wildlife. 'John Downie' is a classic variety.
        Resistance is fertile

Comment

Many thanks everyone. I am a newcomer to growing fruit and veg and I think the people on this site are really helpful.

Looking forward to Apple Pies!!

Comment

We had the last few of our somewhat wizened Bramley's in a scone-bread pie this weekend. They had mellowed enough in storage to eat raw like a dessert apple and the pie was fantastic requiring much less sugar than usual. I can't bring myself to buy Bramley's since we have so many in the village, but this means we now have a long gap until next season's harvest. This is of course precisely what Rhubarb is for.

Mark
            http://rockinghamforestcider.moonfruit.com/
            http://rockinghamforestcider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I also bought my Bramley from Lidl and its doing really well. Then when I wanted a dessert apple tree as well, I checked Deacons Nursery and a couple of others and discovered that Bramley is a Triploid and needs 2 other pollinators! Which have to be of the same group, of course...
              So I now have a Laxtons Fortune dessert and another lovely old type cooker called Catshead!

Comment

I bought a granny smith tree today it was only cheap. Will this do as a pollinator for my little Bramley?

Comment

I'm not sure - I think it is dependent on what time of year they produce amongst other things... I went on Deacons website and they tell you what are good pollinators for which tree. Worth a look!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X