Parsnips Germination Question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnips Germination Question

I have been germinating some parsnip seeds between a couple of moist kitchen roll sheets inside a plastic bag. I am planning on putting them in loo rolls

The seeds have started to open - no sign of any greenery yet.

How big should they be before I move them from the kitchen roll to the tubes?

I love parsnips so don't want to mess up this delicate operation!
    Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

The purpose of putting them on kitchen towel is to see if the seed is viable - as the seeds are "opening" it would certainly seem to be viable.
    Now you need to sow them into your old loo rolls, PDQ.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 16-03-2008, 06:41 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Cool, gonna be moving them on after dinner! Ta!

Comment

When do you plant out then? Do you leave them inside the loo rolls?

Comment

I have put some in loo rolls and the rest in homemade paper pots (I plan to open up bottom when planted). I've put mine in the greenhouse for now. I *think* I will be waiting til they are pencil size before they go outside.

Though judging by the weather forecast they might be coming back to daddy in doors tonight!

Comment

I too am growing my parsnips in paper pots, I think the pots I make will have rotted down quite well by planting time. I have sown 2 seeds to a pot and will remove the weaker one.
            I did the toilet roll method last year and they were fine, and grew huge -till the ginger mice ate them!!!

Comment

Don't wait until they get pencil size. Ideally you want to get them transplanted to the final position before roots come through the base so no disturbance.
              http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I read the pencil size thing on another thread on this forum

I will makesure it is before thems roots break through the bottom. Seeds ave only just germinated so will be a while yet emums.

Cetainly hope mine are huge like yours headfry!

Comment

I am being retarded, I was thinking about LEEKS!

My parsnips will be planted long before they are pencil size - too long sat at this dexk today me thinks!

Comment

Originally posted by spud57 View Post
                    Do you leave them inside the loo rolls?
                    Yes. The point of growing parsnips and carrots in loo rolls (instead of cell trays/pots) is because they can't tolerate root disturbance.
                    By putting the whole loo roll straight in the ground, t'parsnip doesn't even know it has moved house
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ok thanks, Two Sheds! are there any other veg that would benefit from no root disturbance? I have a paper potter but the end result pot seems small and Im not sure if the seedling could stay in it long enough before putting direct into the ground....

Comment

I've been religiously collecting loo rolls for months now - will definitely be using some for my parsnips, peas and broad beans.

Very heavy frost down in our neck of the woods (South Wales) at the moment though...
                        Grown the toms and herbs in greenhouse before but starting off a 50ft x 15ft veggie/fruit area in 2008

Comment

Yup it is brrrr here in wales land.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X