Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• storing seed potatoes

hi

I am growing potatoes in a bag this year for the first time, as I put only five in the each bag I have a few spear. So my query is what is the best way to keep seed potatoes so I can grow the later in the year?

thanks for you help

Bonnycat

I planted the left overs of last years seed potatoes this january, I stored them in a fridge set to 4 1/2 and although they did get some leggy chittings on them they are growing away nicely now, although I would advise taking them out of the netting bags as it was a pain cutting it of the shoots.

I have this years chitting in the greenhouse but noticed today the the mice have been at some of them so I will have to get some traps tommorrow.

Cheers Chris

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Nothing to stop you planting them in some tubs a bit later BC.

I've done 6 tubs of earlies and in a couple of weeks I'll do another 4 or 5 then we'll have new tatties for longer. Also if you save some of your early ones a and plant around October if you have a greenhouse, then they'll do for Christmas.

If your greenhouse is unheated or you don't have one the late planted one's you can leave in the tubs for Christmas as well.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

The one's you have left over put them in the salad draw in the fridge our local nursery man told me that one last year he do's it every rear and plants late for new spuds at chrismas .
        They stay dormant until you fetch them, out and grow like billyo good luck jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

thanks a lot i will do that

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X