training currants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• training currants

I have recently been given a redcurrent and a blackcurrent, both are just great smelling sticks at the moment, I quite fancy the idea of training them up the wall either side of the front door(which is actually at the back of the house!!?) The wall is south facing and gets ALOT of sun. How easy is it to train currents? I know that birds will be a problem, might i be better off putting them in the fruit cage? How big are they likely to get and how much attention are they likely to need? Also, how much olnger will they last in a bucket of water in the polytunnel and how frost hardy are they??
    So many questions!!!
    Tx
    Tx

I might be totally wrong, but aren't they fruit bushes, not climbers ?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You can grow them as cordons against a wall. Not sure of the technique, but I know it's possible. Hopefully a more knowledgeable grape will be along shortly to explain.
      All at once I hear your voice
      And time just slips away
      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

You can grow them as cordons but thewy won't get about abotu 4ft tall (max, I'd say. They aren't climber as Two Sheds says, so they will not meet over a doorway. You want a tayberry or something. Even the tayberry will need old wood pruning out and new wood tying in each year so it's not fuss free.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks, I am not bothered about them going over the door, I just love the smell and have nothing planted in the garden yet! The garden was completely overgrown with brambles nettles and vines when we got here last year. After a huge clearout there really isn't much left. The other option I had considered was to train fruit trees on the front wall. I read somewhere that apples don't grow above 200m (land height, not the tree!) We are at 550m so this might limit my choices.
          Tx
          Tx

Comment

I think that redcurrants,whitecurrants and gooseberries can be trained as standards or half standards. That way you could concievably have a leg a metre long with the soft fruit bush on the top. When I prune mine in the Autumn I may strike a few cuttings with a view to training them as standards.

Blackcurrants are a true bush fruit and rely on multiple stems so cant be trained as standards methinks.

Must admit, cordons sound as if they might work for all but blackcurrants though!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X