Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrots and compost

Hi
    Have just built some raised beds and am intending to plant carrots and parsnips in one of them. i know you should not put any manure in it first, but what about adding some compost?

I would add sand, peat/coir/compost and finally screened garden loam with the ultimate aim of achieving a water retentive sandy loam!
    Last edited by Snadger; 24-02-2008, 08:04 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i always put compost in mine but only thinly just to give the soil a bit of a kick realy

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger
        I would add sand, peat/coir/compost and finally screened garden loam with the ultimate aim of achieving a water retentive sandy loam!
        Hey Snadger, daft question, what type of sand would you buy (from down the Builders Merchants) for aiding drainage in soil/compost?
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

sharp sand maybe
          my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Think I've mentioned this before. I watched a TV show many, many, many years ago. Think it was an early GW with the great Geoff Hamilton. Three lighthouse keepers wanted a gerden on their rock. They planked out a 6'x3' trench, 18" deep and had a 50/50 mix of dune sand and moss peat and grew fantastic carrots in it.
            http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X