propagating parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• propagating parsnips

i have sown about 12 true and tender parsnip seeds into loo rolls and put them in my heated propagator do you think they will germinate.
    my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

I pre-germinate them - on damp kitchen roll inside a clear poly bag so I can see when they have sprouted. As soon as they do I transfer them into a loo roll.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

They usually take a long time to germinate hence the old saying " They go three times to the devil before breaking the surface!"
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I did mine in jiffy pots 2 weeks since stored in greenhouse and still no sign, no i know why they with the devil

so they is still a chance they will germinate pew thats good news.
        Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

I also pregerminate mine in an ice cream tub with a piece of warm k-roll after this I put them in loo rolls stuffed with compost

Comment

Hi, i have mine also in loo rolls. I have mine it a very warm airing cupboard and although i spray them well twice a day ,come morning they are as dry as a bone.....maybe i should move them ??. Minty X
            " If it tastes like chicken THEN EAT CHICKEN " :- Kermit The Frog

http://mohicans-allotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
              Hi, i have mine also in loo rolls. I have mine it a very warm airing cupboard and although i spray them well twice a day ,come morning they are as dry as a bone.....maybe i should move them ??. Minty X
              I don't think they require a lot of heat Minty, in fact I think they can be sown outside shortly!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have tried pre-germinating on damp kitchen roll in an ice cream tub covered with clingfilm. How long do they take to sprout?

pjh
                pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

I usually pregerminate on a bit of K-Roll one a saucer in a plaggy bag .. it seems to take years but I suspect it's only a week or 5
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

I still don’t have any thing; think you were right Snadger “They go three times to the devil before breaking the surface!" Think the devil forgot to send mine back
                    Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Originally posted by Minty View Post
                      If you're spraying that often, then your compost wasn't wet enough to start with. Same advice with seeds as with open ground - a little sprinkle every day is not good. A good soaking to start with and then enough water to keep thoroughly moist is the ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                        If you're spraying that often, then your compost wasn't wet enough to start with. Same advice with seeds as with open ground - a little sprinkle every day is not good. A good soaking to start with and then enough water to keep thoroughly moist is the ideal.
                        Hi. I removed them from the airing cupboard 3 days ago and they are coming through now. So hopefully fhey dont get too leggy and i can plant them out soon.
                        Minty X
                        " If it tastes like chicken THEN EAT CHICKEN " :- Kermit The Frog

http://mohicans-allotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think you can sow direct from now on. The packet I have says mid Feb onwards so mine will be done anytime soon. If you are sowing in small pots/seed tray with the plan to transplant later be aware they don't like root disturbance. Last year I tried the paper pot method and probaly left them in too long because the roots were poking out of the bottom when I moved them on. Of the few I got they had badly suffered forking.

This year I'm sowing direct into huge cardboard tubes filled with a fine soil and sand mixture. I'll sow a few seeds per tube then thin to the strongest asap. No disturbance and hopefully a decent crop.
                          http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Make sure you have new seed. Parsnip seeds are notoriously early to 'go off'.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hmm i'm doing mine in cell trays. Myself and a fellow allotmenteer have decide to trial what would be best, he is doing the tissue way and i'm doing the propargate in cells and i think he has someone else doing them staight in the ground. I'll let you know how we go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X