Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilko rhubarb not growing :-(

Hi all,

I need advice on my Wilko bought rhubarb. I got a couple a few weeks ago. They're in the plot now, but nothing seems to be going on in there, I would dare to say they're indeed dead! Has anybody else had any luck with Wilko's rhubarb?

Thanks!

Mine is still asleep. It needs a bit longer to see if it's going to survive, I think. It's not Wilko's by the way, but I've had good stuff from them in the past.
    Last edited by Flummery; 05-02-2008, 02:54 PM. Reason: Added a bit
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I've got 3 lots and they're already showing growth although I'm quite a bit further south than flumery.
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

My Rhubarbs not doing anything yet don't worry mapcr, give it a bit more time!
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I bought a Wilko rhubarb a few days ago (so its still early stages), but it seems quite happy where it is.
          Knittering

Comment

Ok, I was just wondering if I'd done anything wrong by putting it on the ground already, it's my first time growing it. So fingers crossed, I love rhubarb, and its so expensive in the shops!

Comment

Originally posted by mapcr77 View Post
              Ok, I was just wondering if I'd done anything wrong by putting it on the ground already, it's my first time growing it. So fingers crossed, I love rhubarb, and its so expensive in the shops!
              Your new rhubarb crown needs time to put down roots before it will start producing topgrowth. You do realise that you shouldn't harvest any of it this year, don't you? It will need a year to establish itself, but after that you should get a good crop every year.

Comment

Patience children...patience!!!!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  Your new rhubarb crown needs time to put down roots before it will start producing topgrowth. You do realise that you shouldn't harvest any of it this year, don't you? It will need a year to establish itself, but after that you should get a good crop every year.
                  How long do the roots take to establish rustylady, have just put my crowns in having never grown rhubarb before?
                  is spacetime curved or was einstien round the bend

Comment

I am righton the south coast and I only have a very tiny pink shoot showing....you could try forcing it with a bucket...not done it myself but I hear it works...although if its your rhubarbs first year then I would just leave it to do its own thing.

Comment

I've got the opposite happening. A couple of my rhubarb crowns have young leaves on them and I wonder if a cold snap will kill them off. Maybe an idea to put some mulch over them.
                      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by starwatcher View Post
                        How long do the roots take to establish rustylady, have just put my crowns in having never grown rhubarb before?
                        How long is a piece of string? Depends on the soil conditions and temperature, also air temperature. The rhubarb crowns you buy are a section of an old rhubarb plant without any roots (unless they've been stored too warm and in damp compost). If you have an established rhubarb plant you can do this yourself when it is dormant - late autumn to early spring). You simply dig it up (hard work), chop it into sections with a sharp spade and re-plant, thus increasing your stock.

Comment

I had a check on the wilko rhubarb today and it seems a bit limp poor thing. I hope it makes it.
                          Knittering

Comment

you wont get anything this year from newly planted crowns, and next year you should only take a few stems to let it get established, and dont forget it likes lots of manure...patience is a virtue
                            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X