Kale - Worth Eating Varieties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale - Worth Eating Varieties

Despite some of us here are convinced that they're livestock-quality fodder crops vegetable, convince me that they're as worthy as other Brassica like your cabbage, broccoli, calabrese etc.

It's possible we may have been eating the wrong 'tough bird' variety (fit for a cow's teeth) and that there are more edible variety that is truly tender and tasty. So what are these worthy varieties then folks? BTW just acquired Sutherland Kale as my first Kale trial .
    Last edited by veg4681; 02-02-2008, 02:06 PM.
    Food for Free

I just love all of them - I like a really robust brassica! Maybe I've got cows' teeth? I like them shredded in a winter veg soup too.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

You see, I've never had tough Kale, so I don't know what all the fuss is about

It's tasty, has great texture and the plants are rather attractive. There's almost a perfumed flavour to some of it if you cook it right.

At the moment I am growing some dwarf green curled but I had a good crop of Redbor last year too.

Grow your own, pick it young and you won't look back.

If I were you, I would start with a thin-leafed type like Pentland Brig or Red Russian.

Comment

Hi veg461

try pentland brig and pick the newer young tender leaves

or the italian black kale shreaded in a stir fry

Burnzie

Comment

I love green curly kale, my daughter grows Cavalo de Nero (don't know if that's spelt right). The main thing is to pick young leaves and shoots then they're tender and tasty.

Comment

kale

hi we love red Russian kale which we have been growing for years and it never fails to impress. we break off individual leafs pull of the stem shred the leafs finely steam it like spinage its cooked in 5 minutes or so then a knob of butter with mashed roosters and some corned beef -or salted beef for non Irish readers
            one years weed is seven years seed

Comment

Veg, I agreed with you till this year. However Cavelo nero is much more tender and was almost fought over during Christmas dinner. I will only be growing that in future.

Comment

My three favourites in decending order are Black Tuscan, Dwarf Curled and Red Russian!

My favourite time is at the end of there cropping season March/April when they throw up flowering heads which are a worthy substitute for Calabrese/broccoli!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I grew Black Tuscan this season, next season I'm growing Black Tuscan, Winterbor and Redbor. Love kale me - just hope my customers do too !!
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Maybe its the cooking that makes it tough? Pull the green leaf away from the rib (throw that away). Steam or boil the green bits for only a couple of minutes. Delicious.

I find Kale to grow well thru the winter and into the spring.
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-02-2008, 11:21 AM.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Iv'e just bought some black tuscany seeds, and looking forward to trying this variety. It's a good looking plant and iv'e been told it tastes really good. that's argument enough for me
                      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Veg,

I think Kale shoudn't be that tough if you pick the young leaves, they are actually very tasty (IMHO) and will give less/no problems like brussles sprouts. I grow: Nero Di Toscano, Ragged Jack/ Red Russian kale, and collards. I love them all and would like to recommend them all... yes, a bit greedy I know .
                        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

We had Sutherland Kale (from Real Seeds) last year. Also bought really frilly curly kale plantlets off the market. I've never liked Kale. I tried some from a friend a couple of years ago, and agree - cow fodder. BUT the OH loves kale, hence we gave these 2 varieties a go this year. Both are BRILLIANT. I even grew the Sutherland Kale outside the brassica-cage, the caterpillars never really got going on it, and only just in the last week or two have the pigeons started on it. Suggests its going to be inedible, but certainly not!!

Both varietes are still going strong - in fact we had both types late night (along with leeks and spring cabbage tops) with sausages and onion gravy last night. Delicious!!

Growing more SK, and have seeds of the black crinkly one to try this year, Am definitely a convert....

LCG

Comment

Thanks for all your recommendations...so I can only reckon that these are the worth eating ones then:

Cavalo de Nero
                            Black Tuscan/Nero di Toscana *
                            Red Russian/Red Ursa (as in Real Seeds)
                            Ragged Jack/Hungry Gap
                            Pentland Brig *
                            Sutherland Kale *

Those with asterisk are the ones I get to try this year .
                            Last edited by veg4681; 05-02-2008, 11:10 AM.
                            Food for Free

Comment

Kale

Kale is my favourite winter vegetable, much nicer than Brussels spourts. We grow dwarf green curled, Cavolo di Nero and Ragged Jack, with the Cavolo di Nero definitely the best tasting one.

But I have one question: some of the CdN plants are now throwing up flower stalks. Should I cut them off and are they edible?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X