Bramley Apples

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bramley Apples

I have just had a Bramley Apple Tree given to me. Do I need more than one for it to fruit?

Scotty

No that would be a very bad idea.

90%+ of apple trees need a different tree to pollinate them.

Hopefully there will be one near you to pollinate this.

If not then you need to buy another apple tree to pollinate the bramley.

I think that bramley is triploid ie it can not pollinate another tree so if you want the second tree eg D'Arcy Spice you will need a 3rd tree to pollinate that !!

Comment

I believe that triploid means that the tree need two different polinators.

Bramleys are a group 2 triploid. To select a pollinator choose another variety of apple in the same group, previous group or following group. For example a group 2 tree will pollinate trees in groups 1, 2 or 3 but not 4. The grouping is simply related to the approximate time of flowering.

So you need TWO more trees, possibly a desert in group 1,2 or 3 and a crab apple which as a rule flower for a long time and can polinate any group.

Terry
      The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

Go to Keepers Nursery - possibly the largest range of fruit trees and soft fruit plants in the world and you will see that Bramley's Seedling has a vast range of pollination partners.

It is "Self-sterile Triploid".

I cannot recommend Keepers Nursery website highly enough.
        Last edited by Peter; 26-01-2008, 08:44 PM.
        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine. Good luck with your Bramleys!
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by TPeers View Post
            I believe that triploid means that the tree need two different polinators.

Bramleys are a group 2 triploid. To select a pollinator choose another variety of apple in the same group, previous group or following group. For example a group 2 tree will pollinate trees in groups 1, 2 or 3 but not 4. The grouping is simply related to the approximate time of flowering.

So you need TWO more trees, possibly a desert in group 1,2 or 3 and a crab apple which as a rule flower for a long time and can polinate any group.

Terry
            Triploid means that a plant has 3 sets of chromsomes and so can not pollinate another tree.
            Strictly speaking a triploid apple tree only needs one pollinator.

However it can not return the favour so if you want the pollinator to give fruit you need 2 trees.

Although there is often trees nearby. However if you are worried get another tree even if you do not have much space you can get eg a ballerina.

Comment

When we bought our Bramley apples, we made sure that it was compatible with our next door neighbour's eating apple trees for pollination (they had two different then). But they chopped them down to make way for a garden shed yet our Bramley apples continued to bear fruits and since I haven't given it much thought on pollination. However about 2 houses away, I know for sure they have a variety of apple trees too, maybe that's it .
              Last edited by veg4681; 29-01-2008, 11:03 AM.
              Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X