garlic...is that easy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garlic...is that easy?

was wondering, if i stuff some garlic in the ground, will it just grows?
    I talk about the same one you buy in the shop to stuff the roast lamb
    seriously, shall I try?

check out the garlic threads on the 'vegging out' forum.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

They are easy to grow but don't like wet soil (rot down). Have a look at the thread mentioned by SBP.

Momol
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Similar growing conditions needed as for onions, but apparently need to be planted in time to get a cold spell (either very late in the year or very early spring). Give it a go, what have you got to lose? I'm trying again this year.

Comment

Mine went in in Oct and have split already - hurrah!!!. I checked the other day [I need to get out more I know].

Get them in asap, pointy end up. What's the worst that can happen???

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            Mine went in in Oct and have split already - hurrah!!!. I checked the other day [I need to get out more I know].

Get them in asap, pointy end up. What's the worst that can happen???
            Mine went in october too but later around february or march, I will grow several more for cooking purpose like using spring onions and if they produce the fattened up bulb it will be a single big bulb, nice and easy peeling ( without division)....

Momol
            I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

ok I will try definitely ! Chinese or Spanish...

Comment

British!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by marialittlebzz View Post
                  ok I will try definitely ! Chinese or Spanish...
                  Try Scottish from the really garlicky company in Nairn. You might even find them in the supermrket.But one way or another go for it. Garlic doesn't like to be too wet. Temp doesn't matter. So go for containers or drill them up in open ground to produce good drainaige. To make a drill, draw earth up from both sides to make a V shaped planting area and plant in to the top of the V.Hope it works well for you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Just do it. Garlic from anywhere is great. Yum
                    "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

i have plonked market garlic in teh ground for years now and it has taken. i always use bulbs that have started to "shoot" in teh kitchen so i know that they are "fertile".

the advice about good drainage is sound - i don't bury the whole clove but leave about 30-50% showing above ground.

garlic will grow well in partial shade as well as sunshine. ideally you want it in before xmas.. late autumn is ideal but i have put it in thruough january before and had lovely nice garlic in september.

before i had my compost heap i just chucked kitchen waste onto the beds... and even the "bottoms" of the cloves that i'd cut off took and are now healthy plants!

to harvest, i wait until they have flowered and the tall green stem begins to yellow and wither.

the cloves are great roasted in their skins (they don't burn when cooked this way) and add onions, rosemary and thyme in bountious quantity for a lovely flavour

good luck!

Originally posted by marialittlebzz View Post
                      was wondering, if i stuff some garlic in the ground, will it just grows?
                      I talk about the same one you buy in the shop to stuff the roast lamb
                      seriously, shall I try?
                      Last edited by Storm; 23-01-2008, 08:30 AM.
                      Vegetable Rights And Peace!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X