Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recommendations for outdoor peppers, aubergines and tomatoes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommendations for outdoor peppers, aubergines and tomatoes?

Hello,

I'm currently clearing my very overgrown allotment (if anyone wants any blackberry/ bramble bushes give me a shout I have plenty.. ) and getting excited planning what I'm going to try and grow this year. I would dearly love to grow some aubergines, peppers and tomatoes as they are some of my favourite veg but I can't see me getting a greenhouse in before the start of the growing season this year. Does anyone have any recommendations for varieties that will do well outside? The plot is on a south eastish facing hill and seems to be fairly sheltered seeing as I've been working up their quite alot lately and haven't been too buffeted. I'm happy to get some cloches or mini tunnels or similar to help protect them too (tho I'm a bit clueless on that aspect too this is the first time I've had a bit of ground bigger than a postage stamp to play with..) so any advice on what to grow and where/how to grow it would be very gratefully recieved

many thanks,

Becca
    I have a dream:
    a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hiya Becca, there's a separate thread going on re outdoor toms which has some good advice. I grew Red Alert last year and they were very good with loads of smallish red fruits which started early and went on until the first frosts.

Re peppers and aubergines, I've never managed them outside (in fact I can't manage aubergines in my greenhouse either!) so don't hold your breath on those but suppose it depends where you live. Would think you have more chance with peppers but I always grow them inside so somebody else will have to advise.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm growing aubergine and sweet pepper for the first time too. You should have no problem with outdoor tomatoes, there was an earlier thread on 'Outdoor Tomatoes' with recommendations from the Grapes.

Galina, Sweet Million, Stupice, Outdoor Girl, Patio Orange, Sub Artic Plenty, Alaska, Glacier, Purple Ukraine,

Aubergines and sweet peppers are generally recommended for the greenhouse but I believe they can do well outdoor in a good sunny Summer. I seem to gather that Real Seeds put their work into finding the varieties that does well in UK climate and possibly outdoor. Before I acquired my greenhouse, I thought I might cover my aubergines and peppers with fleece for extra warmth which may or may not work as greenhouse .

Personally I'm inclined to go for smaller fruiting varieties of aubergines and sweet peppers, thinking they have a better chance or someone would please tell me otherwise.
      Last edited by veg4681; 21-01-2008, 12:21 PM.
      Food for Free

Comment

I managed to get 2 fairly decent sweet peppers from an outside plant last year but the plant remained quite small and they never turned red. My friend with a greenhouse did A LOT better!
        See our brand new allotment - a work in progress - at http://catherineandclaresallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

i managed to get some peppers outside in a sheltered spot last year but am trying me new to me greenhouse this year for a bigger crop...i hope...
          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Whereabouts are you as there's nothing against your 'location'. The further south you are, the better your chances get, possibly.
            Food for Free

Comment

I would be interested to know what variety of aubergine anyone gets to grow outdoors - this isn't a question for you Frenchies btw!
              To see a world in a grain of sand
              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

oops, sorry, meant to put my location in my post (no idea how to update my profile I'm afraid..) I'm in saffron walden essex, about 10 miles south of cambridge..
                I have a dream:
                a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

I grew some lovely sweet peppers in a big container last year, just outside the backdoor. I bought the baby plants from B&Q so afraid I have no idea of the variety, but they grew away no problem and I had around 5 peppers on each of three plants. The plants are still growing now, but I guess they won't fruit again?
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I grew some mild chili last year ( romanian hot). They were grown in container outdoor and to my surprise, they were very productive some of them start to turn red around early august and each plant produce a bit over 1 kg...very happy with it's result.

Momol
                    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue
                      ....The plants are still growing now, but I guess they won't fruit again?
                      Don't see why not? Might be best a bit later on to freshen up their compost though.
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I am with Manda Sue... my dog nose chili is over wintering (now), they were cut back to 15cm tall but now they are a bit over 30cm with several branches and several new chilies formed a week ago plus some flower bulbs are still coming.... feed them some light liquid fertilizer, you will see the different.

Momol

Comment

Ooohhh, can't wait to get home now and give them some tlc!! Thanks folks, I now have renewed hope for my toddlers - well, they were babies last year and now they're growing up haha.
                          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

You could try sweet banana peppers. These (as stated in the name) are banana shaped and nice and sweet;. As far as i am aware they are a short season variety so you might do ok with these outside in a sheltered spot.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

The other chili I would like to recommend is Anaheim, it is sweet and big very good for stuffing. The plant is compact reaching 50cm (suitable for pot growing) and produce loads of big pepper.

Momol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X