Parsnips recommended.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnips recommended.

Hi guys, i tried growing parsnips for the first time last year, with mixed success. Quite a porportion of them grew several shoots, making them look like an alien from "War of the Worlds".
    I just wanted to know is there any advice you could give me this year, and also is there a certain variety that would be best, cheers.

If you search under parsnips there are loads of posts - especially about growing in toilet rolls.......i cant advise on a variety cos you can only buy one type here - bog standard parsnip for feeding to animals.......
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Tender and True is an old tried and tested. Easy to obtain too.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Main reasons for parsnips (and carrots) "forking" or the root splitting into two or more are either stony soil or fresh manure. I can understand the stony soil one, the tap root which should go straight down obviously hits an obstruction and instead of bending to go round it, splits in two and does it that way. Not sure about the manure, but if you think about it I suppose any tap-rooted veg is supposed to make it's way straight down into the soil looking for water and food, so if the manure is on or near the surface it doesn't need to go downwards. Sorry, rambling a bit but still trying to work it out in my own mind.

Comment

My parsnips suffered from forking last year and I came to the conclusion my soil is too stoney. This year I'm going to try making a parsnip trench or square where I sieve the soil and possibly add sand to improve the texture. I definitly agree with the above posts about using toilet rolls or paper pots top get the seeds started. This means you won't disturb the roots when you transplant. You can also try growing in large tubes of sand/soil mixture.

As for variety I'm trying Gladiator F1 but many people had sucess from tender and true. Hazel had a picture of a superb example if you have a search.
          http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have bought Tender and True for this year; but 300 seeds and the seed doesn't stay fresh for long so if the first batch germinate I'll be swapping some later on...anyway I have built mini carrot/parsnip raised beds to go onto my normal raised beds and filled them with 50/50 sand/bought compost mix. If I get the chance I 'll be using Snadger's method of long pipes as the results are so impressive.
            Alternatively, there is the method of sowing the seed after you skewer the soil below with a deep dibber to loosen the soil and make a long deep hole; and filling with sand. You then sow the seed at the top as usual. Or doing the same and popping the germinated seed in the toilet roll straight in.

So many methods so little time!!!

Comment

I walked past the local carpet shop at lunch and they have huge cardboard rolls in a skip. I might try salvaging some of those and making biodegradeble parsnip tubes with my own soil/compost/sand mixture.
              http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

My parsnips a White Gem for growing this year. Anyone thinks that's a good one to have? Thanks.
                Food for Free

Comment

I grew white gem last year and they were fine. It was my first time so I cant compare them to any other variety, but I certainly had no problems with them and we're still eating them now - though this weekend might be the last
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
                    ....and we're still eating them now - though this weekend might be the last
                    Want some....? Still have the European Parsnip Mountain here.....

Comment

Ohhh, yes pleeeeeese!! I lurrvve parsnips, roasted or in curry soup or as chips or crisps .... making myself hungry now!!

Think I underestimated how many I'd want to eat to be honest Hazel Be doubling the amount of seeds sown next year for sure!! On the lookout for variety recommendations myself....
                      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I lifted the last today to make room for a raised bed. However they were a tad big and a few methinks will go along way.

The variety was "Gladiator"

Big parsnips
                        Last edited by pigletwillie; 22-01-2008, 06:16 PM.

Comment

How's the flavour when they are that size Piglet? Or haven't you eaten any yet?
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

Now I'm feeling mighty jealous - I tried to pre-chit my parsnip seeds last spring (very fancy I know!), then planted them out.
                            Didn't get a single parsnip.
                            Might try the loo rolls this year, me thinks.

Comment

Cheers for advice guys.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X