Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic

I'm getting worried, I ordered some garlic in October and it hasn't arrived yet. When's the latest I can plant it in the North. I live on the Pennines, North of Manchester and nights are already reaching 4/5c. I have phoned the supplier but they have been inundated with orders. Just worried now that when it comes itw ill be too late to plant.

Andrewo
    Best wishes
    Andrewo
    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Don't worry. I haven't planted mine yet - I'm in the north west. If the garlic doesn't arrive soon you can plant it next year when you plant your onion sets.
    [

Comment

Garlic

I planted my Garlic same time as onions and had a fantastic harvest

Comment

i planted my garlic in october and am now worried that with the really mild weather it will put on too much growth and not survive the winter

fiona b

Comment

Garlic

Hi all
          I spoke to my local GC owner and he suggested thatI plant my cloves in 3" pots and grow them on in my greenhouse over winter,(given how far North I am) then plant out in spring with onions. Have followed his advice and my garlic is just today beginning to show .
          Rat
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm in the south and planted mine out mid-Oct. Its coming through nicely at the moment. Can I ask a completely idiot question though? does each clove you plant turn into one bulb, or more? (see, I said it was a silly question!)

Comment

No such thing as a silly question..... each clove of garlic you plant will grow into one new bulb
              Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

thanks for that!! now I can tell my husband ...

Comment

garlic

now that nov 5 is over use the ashes from the bonfires, to spread over yo ur garlic cloves.the potash is their fertiliser & its free.

Comment

Still hasn't shown up

I'm a bit cross with the company that are supposed to supply the garlic, as it is yet to show and I don't want to plant next spring as they never do as well. And inevitably I want to give that bed a rest in summer. So angry that some companies advertise and then can't meet demand...

I will not be using them again.

Andrewo
                    Best wishes
                    Andrewo

Comment

Andrew which company was it? I think we would all like to know who has let you down.
                      [

Comment

Company

I would rather not put it up here but if anyone wants to pm me, I will tell them. They've been on today apologising, and so I will see if they show up now...

I don't want to get GYO in any trouble...

Andrewo
                        Best wishes
                        Andrewo

Comment

Andrewo has your garlic arrived yet? As I still havenot planted my garlic I thought I would have a little read up on the subject. Garlic can be planted between November through to February as long as the ground is not frozen or water logged. So as soon as there is a weekend with no frost I will get my garlic planted.
                          [

Comment

No

No the garlic has yet to show up but the seeds did this morning. They have told me it will be in the next week BUT when will the ground not be wet or frost ridden this winter if the last few weeks are to go by?

Garlicless and frozen...
                            Andrewo
                            Best wishes
                            Andrewo

Comment

Good question. We might have to wait until we plant the onion sets next year.
                              [

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X