Sweet peppers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet peppers

Some people have shown disapointment with their sweet pepper plants and the resultant crop.

You really need to sow early to get ripe red sweet peppers and also choose varieties that are early cropping.

Last year I grew "Lipstick" from the Real seed company which were excellent giving lots of ripe peppers from each plant.

The best success however came from a gamble. I saved seed from a Tesco "Finest sweet pointy pepper". They gave plants nearly three foot high and produced lots of peppers from 6" long to over a foot long. They were a great success and I will be growing some again this year.

peppers

More peppers

Better than Tesco pointy peppers

One thing I will say is that they were all grown in a poly tunnel and were started early. If you dont have the luxury of a heated greenhouse to bring them on, sow in March and plant in the greenhouse in late May. You will still get lots of peppers but will have to wait a bit longer for them to go red.

Do you have a couple of seeds from the pointy ones I could scrounge? I can send you some Hungry Gap Kale seeds in return if you like?

Elder son loves sweet peppers and I have yet to get one to grow with a decent crop - usually just get one or two fruits.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

you sent me some peppers last year and wondered what they were they were tesco peppers some of them would you have any more seed. Does the real seed company still sell lipstick ones, i hope to be getting some lilac peppers seeds could swap some.

marion

Comment

Hi kittykat8, lipstick is still available from

here

and the Tesco sweet point ones are available in store pretty much all year round. I have no idea as to variety but keep a few of each in isolalation and you should be able to keep seed for the next year.

The lipstick is certainly is open pollinated and the Real seed site has info on seed saving

seed saving details

Lipstick really are early and come personally highly recommended.

Comment

seed from tesco pepper

can you plant the seed direct from Tesco pepper or do you have to dry it, did mnot save any of mine will go and buy some tomorrow

marion

Comment

I grew my first sweet peppers for years last year. Mr F likes them green anyway so ripening wasn't a problem. Some did ripen of course - I grew too many for him to keep up with. I sowed March - no heat. They are still worth growing if you like a green pepper in your chilli or stew.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by kittykat8 View Post
              can you plant the seed direct from Tesco pepper or do you have to dry it.

marion
              Indeed, just plant the seed straight from the pepper and prick out as normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                I grew my first sweet peppers for years last year. Mr F likes them green anyway so ripening wasn't a problem. Some did ripen of course - I grew too many for him to keep up with. I sowed March - no heat. They are still worth growing if you like a green pepper in your chilli or stew.
                Sorry, what pepper variety is this? Surely not California Wonder or similar? I'm trying to grow only those variety that works well.
                Food for Free

Comment

If anybody's interested, I'd be happy to share the purchase of Lipstick pepper from Real Seeds so long it's at least 6 people joining in the scheme. The Lipstick comes with 30 seeds so 5 seeds per person is more than enough for me. I will also share cost of postage (payment in stamps as most convenient way).
                  Food for Free

Comment

I will share cost with you, let me have your address and how much you want and I will post to you.

Pm me if you want to

Marion
                    Last edited by pigletwillie; 20-01-2008, 03:22 PM. Reason: removing email address to prevent torrents of spam

Comment

Originally posted by kittykat8 View Post
                      I will share cost with you, let me have your address and how much you want and I will post to you.

Marion
                      Thanks, could we wait to see if any more Grapes would be interested. If not, then it may be just you and me. We'll see. No need for email, we can PM each other for privacy.
                      Last edited by veg4681; 20-01-2008, 03:30 PM.
                      Food for Free

Comment

wait until we hear

marion

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
                          Sorry, what pepper variety is this? Surely not California Wonder or similar? I'm trying to grow only those variety that works well.
                          They were plants I bought in- one was something ace - they were all fairly common varieties. thrown away the labels now!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Mine ripened allright. I plant them very early - Jan, Feb, on the windowsill. This pic was taken in July. i don't know the variety, just seeds saved from a previous year. I had loads of green ones in May. I think the secret is just plant them early.
                            Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Alice - about when did you put the plants outside? I was going to sow some pepper and chilli seeds at the weekend but was worried they'd need to go outside before the weather is good enough?

I will probably have some leftover seeds for those of you wanting to try (not from Real Seed tho), if you're willing to wait a while?
                              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X