Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heritage potatoes please

Dear Grapes,

My potatoes seeds from Alan Romans has arrived, they are Highland Burgundy Red and Salad blue.

Has anyone grow them before? do they taste good ? are they very sensitive to blight ?
    I bought them because of their unusuall colour but got no clue about their taste nor growing habit.
    Many thanks for any tips and advice...

Momol
    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

I grew the Highland red before Momol. It wasn't a good year (about 6 years ago from memory) so they were rather small. They were also VERY hard to see against the damp soil - whites shows up so much better. This resulted in odd red potatoes popping up here and there for several years! The flavour was good though.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Seahorse has kindly donated one of each tuber so we'll see how they go. I'm growing in a pot so hopefully we're less vulnerable .
      Food for Free

Comment

Thanks Flum, glad to hear it taste good, yipppyyy... I don't mind even if they aren't productive... sounds silly I know... but I am looking for it's taste and beauty ( colour). The Highland Burgundy red is still not that dark IMO in comparison with the salad blue...pitch dark... will have to sieve the soil when harvesting... as I am planning to grow them in pots.

Veg, mine were the size of ping pong ball ( some even smaller), how big are your tubers ?
        Are you chitting them now? I let mine chit in the garage by the window and hopefully by mid march they are ready .

Momol
        Last edited by momol; 17-01-2008, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momol View Post
          Veg, mine were the size of ping pong ball ( some even smaller), how big are your tubers ?
          Are you chitting them now? I let mine chit in the garage by the window and hopefully by mid march they are ready .

Momol
          Yeah quite small but they were specifically chosen to be small to keep the postage cost down (being kindly donated by Seahorse). All my potatoes are still in one big bag in the living room and I've noticed that Anya (supermarket one) is chitting already! I know I should really place them in the egg tray by the window but I don't have appropriate furniture by the window...or just my excuse.
          Food for Free

Comment

As you might guess from Veg's posts above I have the same varieties too. Most of mine were pretty small but I'm such a newbie that I don't know if that's 'normal' or not

I've put mine in egg boxes in my unheated upstairs bathroom but no sign of any activity yet!
            I was feeling part of the scenery
            I walked right out of the machinery
            My heart going boom boom boom
            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
            I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
              As you might guess from Veg's posts above I have the same varieties too. Most of mine were pretty small but I'm such a newbie that I don't know if that's 'normal' or not

I've put mine in egg boxes in my unheated upstairs bathroom but no sign of any activity yet!
              Claire,
              I saw the potatoes seeds in the Garden Centre ( in NL), they are much bigger in size ( close to the chicken eggs) but again perhaps it is really depending on the variety I guess .
              The salad blue will be very pretty, I read it somewhere, it has beautifull purple/ reddish leaves and very charming blue flowers( they will produce berries too). Did you bought them because of the colout too ? cool.

Ami,
              They will chit even if you don't set them in the cupboard. It said to be better to chit them at the bright area as they will produce stronger ( chubbier) stems and not leggy.

Nevi

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post

Thanks for the clarifications. It hadn't occured to me to use the bathroom window as we too have some space on the window sill but nothing in any other rooms. Still risky as my little boy will mess them up so I won't know which heritage potato is which or shall I write on them .
                Food for Free

Comment

Originally posted by momol
                  .....it has beautifull purple/ reddish leaves and very charming blue flowers( they will produce berries too).
                  Can you grow potatoes from the berries?
                  Last edited by smallblueplanet; 17-01-2008, 09:47 PM.
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Yes you can Manda and they will be disease free ... I am hoping to harvest some of the berries this year, finger cross .

Momol

Comment

A cunning plan momol!

Comment

The tuber produce from the seeds( berries) will be very small but it will be your secure potato seeds...

Comment

We live and learn Manda, it is a rewarding bonus isn't it plus by cross pollinating the flowers you can creat your own hybrid potatoes ( if it has any superiority)...sound very tempting isn't it ?

Momol

Comment

Originally posted by momol
                            ...you can creat your own hybrid potatoes ( if it has any superiority)...sound very tempting isn't it ?

Momol
                            Very God-like!

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                              Can you grow potatoes from the berries?
                              Bet you want some, don't you?
                              Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse