Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replanting raspberries

Hi,

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so hello! I've had my allotment for just over a year, and now I need to tackle the raspberry bed!
    Luckily they produced well last autumn, even though they are VERY overcrowded!
    I would like to thin them out and replant them, but wondered how to go about it? Could they go back into the same bed, and should I replant the canes on the edge (the newer ones)?
    For some reason the previous allotment tenant covered the bed with stones, possibly as a mulch - it will keep me busy for hours!

Any advice gratefully received!

Hi Sarahspatch, glad you decided to start posting

Okay I'm no expert at Rasps, but from my own little experience I'd say just replant then where you want them, whether it's in the same bed or a new one. I'd also say don't worry too much about how you handle them as my autumn bliss got moved 2 years ago, rather brutally when I was in a foul mood and they did really well.

Now's a good time to do it too. I'm going to dig some rouge ones out of my flower bed (2 years ago it was my raspberry bed ) and give them to a friend this weekend
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

hi sarahspatch!
      i am going to move mine too, they are overcrowded and messy, i am planning on pulling/digging/teasing them up and them sorting out the bed and putting them back in more tidily. i got my plot in august and have two types, autumn and summer, unfortunately i cut the summer ones back by mistake!!!oops, and moved them somewhere new, i hope they will grow!?!?!? the autumn ones are the ones i am going to move , hopefully this weekend, my soil is lovely at the minute, very soft even after all the rain.
      let me know what you decide and how you get on with them.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I will replant them as soon as I can get back on the allotment- Its soooooo wet and sticky at the mo, and with more rain forecast.........
        I'm itching to get started, such a shame the weather is so horrible!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X