X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrots

How many people grow carrots without fleece

Marion

I don't bother with fleece but I have only grown a few buckets full so far and usually planted in July for Christmas harvest.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I think that if you are growing on a lottie you have to consider fleece as without you are likely to be giving most of your carrots to the maggots of the dreaded carrot root fly. An alternative is to build a 2ft high barrier around your carrots but as someone in another thread said that doesn't always work 100%.

gojilottie
      Last edited by gojiberry; 13-01-2008, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I grow carrots uncovered in large pots.

In seven years I have had one pot with a few roots attacked by carrot fly, but that's all.

I may have just cursed myself, of course...

Comment

I grow mine under an enviromesh tunnel but still lose about 5% to carrot fly!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Me! I grew mine without fleece last year!

Bloody carrot fly got the lot, tho', so I shall NOT be doing THAT again!

Comment

Sow them now and get them out of the ground before the fly is about, best cleanest summer carrots were grown next to onions.

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
                Sow them now and get them out of the ground before the fly is about, best cleanest summer carrots were grown next to onions.
                Agree with you there sow them early you might be luckyi had 10 rows of seed onions[kelsae+mammoth] 2 rows of maestro carrots [carrot fly resistant ha ha ] lost every onion to allium leaf miner and shallots and spring planted garlicand to top it off the carrots were full of the dreaded carrot fly, so lots of protection this year

Comment

I grown mine in a raised bed with out cover ( but has garlic in beteween them) and grown them in pots too (on a balcony) and so far never has problem with carrot fly but they do get aphid attact once in awhile.

Momol
                  I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

How windy is it where you are? I have quite an exposed plot, it was rainy and windy for most of the summer, the carrots had no protection at all and I had no troubles with carrot fly at all.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

im going to try and chop up some downpie and sow my carrot seed 1 to each piece of pipe.
                      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie Wife View Post
                        How windy is it where you are? I have quite an exposed plot, it was rainy and windy for most of the summer, the carrots had no protection at all and I had no troubles with carrot fly at all.
                        I think this is true of a lot of veggies. Thats why Scotland is the home of the seed potato isn't it? Less chance of fungal disorders like blight as well I believe! A windy site will also aid wind pollinated plants!
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
                          im going to try and chop up some downpie and sow my carrot seed 1 to each piece of pipe.
                          Likewise, but I will also grow others as usual cos we like a lot of carrots!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            I think this is true of a lot of veggies. Thats why Scotland is the home of the seed potato isn't it? Less chance of fungal disorders like blight as well I believe! A windy site will also aid wind pollinated plants!
                            Supposedly, but this year was so damp that most growers up here that I know of had blight. It wasn't even that warm! Next year I think I'll try a wider spacing. I'm not going to trust what the packet says! 12" for King Edwards! Pah!!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

it can be very windy on our allotment, ia am going to use fllece but thought I might try some without and spray with galic. What do organic growers do

marion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X