Golden Beetroot & Turnip

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Beetroot & Turnip

I swear I would never bother with Beetroot or Turnip but have stumbled upon interesting varieties in golden colour. These are Beetroot Burpees Golden & Turnip Goldana. If anybody's grown them before, are they worth growing for the taste and are they relatively easy to grow?
    Food for Free

I've grown the burpees golden.........very easy to grow and gives biggish beetroot similar to boltardy.
    Tastes ok too!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Veg 4681,

I have seen golden beet photo, they are indeed very pretty but got no idea about Turnip Goldana, does it look gorgeous too ?
      I bet they are as you seems to fall in love....
      Will watch for the coming post about their story.

Momol
      Last edited by momol; 03-01-2008, 07:41 PM.
      I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

HI Veg4681,
        we grew golden beetroot when we lived on the East coast: grew better for me than ordinary beets and were good eating - we ate them as a hot veg rather than pickled.

enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Liz and Steve View Post
          HI Veg4681,
          we grew golden beetroot when we lived on the East coast: grew better for me than ordinary beets and were good eating - we ate them as a hot veg rather than pickled.
          enjoy!
          Burpees Golden taste great when served as hot beets. I just found that don't germinate as well as the red varieties, so you need to sow more. I also grew some Albina Vereduna (the white variety) last year. Maybe not as good as the yellow ones, but still very tasty.

Both on my list this year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
            Burpees Golden taste great when served as hot beets. I just found that don't germinate as well as the red varieties, so you need to sow more. I also grew some Albina Vereduna (the white variety) last year. Maybe not as good as the yellow ones, but still very tasty.

I am trying the burpees Golden this year, so will be planting more, thanks for the tip, where did you get the white ones from?, sounds very interesting
            Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
            Bob Dylan

Comment

You're right there about germination as has been pointed out by T&M below:

A succulent, delightful flavour and the tops steamed or boiled are highly nutritious and spinach-like, eaten when the beet is between golf and tennis ball size. Sow thicker than normal as Burpee's Golden has inherent lower germination trait.

I reckon I'll only grow 10-20 (for experiment) so roughly how many seeds should I sow? I only get 50 seeds in a packet as it's from MoreVeg.

Turnip Goldana anyone? I've ordered them anyway.
              Last edited by veg4681; 04-01-2008, 04:03 PM.
              Food for Free

Comment

I think there's also a red beetroot with white rings!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

hi snadger

is that the chioggia pink cos that has white rings
                  tastes good to
                  this will be a battle from the heart
                  cymru am byth

Comment

pulled 10 each of Boltardy and yellow beetroot(can't remember the variety) today, in betwen golf ball and tennis ball size - to make some lovely beetroot and chilli chutney. The Boltardy were fine but all of the yellow were really woody had to throw them all away.
                    Anyone else had this problem or is it just me??
                    On the plus side though had a sneaky taste of the chutney Mmmmmmmmmm

Comment

very disappointed with the yellow burpee beetroot - recommended by sarah raven - very few of mine germinated and those that have are small whereas the bulls blood or whatever my red one is (cant remember) have done well.
                      am growing bog standard turnips for the first time ...put the seeds in about a week ago and little seedlings up already ....if these work i might try some poncy (sorry more exotic) ones ...isnt that a bit of a contradiction in terms ...an exotic turnip???
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X