Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would raspberries manage ok in pots for a year?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would raspberries manage ok in pots for a year?

Saw a decent deal on Autumn Bliss locally today but I don't really have room to place them in the garden permenantly and I'm not sure the spot I've earmarked for soft fruit at the lottie will be in a fit state to plant this year. I do love raspberries though! Could I grow them in pots this year and plant them out next?
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

I have a Glen Moy in a pot - it has been there for a year or more and is relatively happy.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I think a lot would depend on what size pot you are thinking about putting them in, it won't be the depth so much as the width as they are fairly shallow rooted. I think an eight inch / 200mm pot would be the sort of size to be looking at.
      I would also use John innes no3 for the potting soil, or at least half John innes and half potting compost, this will give more weight to the pot and also help keep the raspberries fed.
      God bless all of us.

Comment

You could, but is it worth it? You probably won't get a crop off them and the same (or better) deal may be available next year when you do have the room.

Comment

Sorry to be dim RL but why would I not get get a crop from them?

edited to add... I see what you mean now RL but I'd still be a year ahead if I could keep them in pots this year, rather than having to wait even longer if I waited till next year to buy (if that makes any sense at all!).
          Last edited by Seahorse; 27-12-2007, 11:15 AM.
          I was feeling part of the scenery
          I walked right out of the machinery
          My heart going boom boom boom
          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
          I've come to take you home."

Comment

I was given 36 raspberry canes in 3 x10" pots which someone had ordered and decided they didn't want ( golden rasps)
            ....doesn't come cheaper than that eh????

They have sat in these pots since Autumn 2006 and we planted them out in late November 2007.
            They look as if only half have survived in each pot, but they were clearly way overcrowded and planted too deep ( shallow rooted plants)

We did get some fruit this year, but only as if there had been one plant!

We'll see how they recover over the next year!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Seahorse, I think they'd be fine, so long as the pot's big enough and you remember to water & feed them. After all, you might get your soft-fruit area ready sooner than you think, and they'd be fine to plant any time from containers. I did that a couple of years ago with Glen Ample when my garden planting area wasn't ready, and we had a marvellous crop from them last year

Comment

I had to uproot everything to save it from bulldozers a couple of years ago (it was slightly guerilla gardening), including my raspberries. They recovered alright, but I wouldn't choose to keep them in pots, I did it because I had to. They're hard to stop drying out as the roots are so near the surface. If you do it, maybe a mulch would help? It certainly checked their growth, but they're on my allotment now, and I'm hoping for a better crop this year. I'd be inclined to wait myself, unless you want to use the raspberries in pots (accusing you) as motivation to get the fruit plot ready quicker!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X