Where have all the shallots gone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where have all the shallots gone

My first thread and a very Merry Christmas to everyone.
    I would have planted out my shallots on the shortest day but have been unable to find any in my local garden centres. They all seem more interested in Christmas decorations at the moment. Can anyone help on where I can obtain some. My garlic has been in since end Sept and is doing very well on the allotment. Will see if I can start some onion seed in the next few days.

Hi and welcome to the vine Gojiberry. Merry Christmas to you. Can't help with the shallot query but there will be someone along in the next day or so who will be able to help I am sure.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Hello and welcome gojiberry If all else fails, you could try buying some 'eating' shallots from your local supermarket and planting those. That's what I did!
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Hi Gojiberry. I've had the same problem this year. Usually get mine from either the pound shop or a local garden centre, but there've been none about this year. Same with garlic - I planted supermarket bought ones which are doing well. May have to do the same with shallots I think.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          I planted supermarket bought ones which are doing well. May have to do the same with shallots I think.
          My old dad always told me not to buy from the supermarkets because you never know where they have come from. They might have been imported into the UK by the superstore and you never know what variety you are growing.

Any thoughts on this ?
          My plot is on this site!

Comment

Most shops print the variety and origin on their veg packets/labels (not sure if they have to legally?). The shallots I bought via Tesco were from a farm just up the road from me!
            I was feeling part of the scenery
            I walked right out of the machinery
            My heart going boom boom boom
            "Hey" he said "Grab your things
            I've come to take you home."

Comment

The variety is not something that would worry me, however, a large proportion of shallots in supermarkets are sprayed with an inhibitor to prevent them from sprouting.

Comment

Hello gojiberry, welcome to the vine.

My local Garden Centres only started getting their shallots, and onion sets in a few days ago, I'm sure when the decorations go for 50% off in the sale they will be replaced with proper Garden Center stock. Plant stuff.
                Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

My local b&q has allso got them in so iwould check youre local suppliers again

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X