White Currants in pots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Currants in pots

Just received my white currants but didn't realise they were going to be 3 of them and the planting distance between them is quite big so I'm thinking of planting them in pots.

Has anybody grown in pots and whether there's any problems grown this way? The books say use a minimum container depth of 1 feet. Soil requirement doesn't say much so I presume they're not fussy.
    Food for Free

Grow them in as big a pot as you can and fill it with a John Innes number 3 type compost. Keep well watered in dry weather and add a bit of feed during the season.

Comment

I grew a whitecurrant (white versailles) in a pot last year as the area I had planned for it wasn't ready. Half way through the season, after the pot had been blown over on numerous occasions, I finally decided where I wanted to plant it! Because I didn't want to disturb it mid-season, and I didn't want it to blow over any more, I planted it in it's container in the spot it would eventually occupy! It fruited really well for a maiden, and over a long period of time.
      Unfortunately my proposed softfruit area has now become a chicken run, but no matter, it will still transplant easily from it's pot into another area yet to be determined!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

As Piglet says you need to use a soil-based compost like John Innes and a large pot. If you intend to keep in pots then you will need to pay attention to watering - if you have space available they are certainly easier to look after in open ground (the roots can go deeper and they're not as susceptible to drying out. Don't want to be pessimistic, they can certainly be grown in large pots but you will need to keep an eye on them. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for all your advice and useful comments. It's making me decidely lazy about the pot option :, what getting 3 big pots, filling with special John Innes compost and the need to watch out for watering.... I guess I can make way for land in my garden.
          Last edited by veg4681; 07-12-2007, 08:43 PM.
          Food for Free

Comment

Yes, I tend to agree and plant mine 3 or 2 1/2 feet appart.

I often used just garden soil in flower pots, plus any sort of fertiliser in the season.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X