Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumpkin

when and how do i plant pumpkin?

You need pumpkin seeds, some 3 inch pots and potting compost.In April sow the seeds one per pot on their edge about 1/2 inch deep and water. They need warmth to germinate and should start sprouting after a week. Look after them, don't let them dry out, and they should be ready to plant out in the middle of June. Maybe a couple of weeks earlier if you live down south.
    [

Comment

Planting out in the middle of June is about right. I planted mine too early this year and I lost them all. I was gutted!

Comment

im having a pumpkin comp with a friend from work any tips would be welcom i nhere beer is good ?

Comment

My squashes always get a weekly feed with Miracle Grow. I haven't tried beer but the slugs like beer and the smell might attract them to your pumpkins. When you have enough fruit set on the vine (baby pumpkins) pinch out the growing tip and the plant will not grow any bigger and all it's strength will go into making the pumpkins large.
          [

Comment

Plant pumpkins and squashes out each in a bucket load of manure in the ground, giving each one plenty of space. I don't normally apply a liquid feed.

I find sowing in pots and planting out a good way forward, but you can just about get away with sowing direct if you want. Less reliable, though.
            http://www.downsizer.net

http://cabd.livejournal.com

Comment

Planting

I was told that you plant pumpkins like courgettes in an indent (saucer shape) in the ground but like courgettes the neck of the plant should be raised in a mini mound to stop rot. Is this the case?

Andrewo
              Best wishes
              Andrewo
              Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Originally posted by andrewo
                I was told that you plant pumpkins like courgettes in an indent (saucer shape) in the ground but like courgettes the neck of the plant should be raised in a mini mound to stop rot. Is this the case?
                I plant them both (squashes too) in an indent, but then its fairly dry down here in Cambridge so I want as much moisture to get to the plant as possible.
                http://www.downsizer.net

http://cabd.livejournal.com

Comment

We also plant pumpkins in the same way.
                  A thought when the kids were young, we used to scratch their names onto the skin of a growing courgette or marrow and watch 'their' veg grow. I wonder if you could pre-scratch a halloween face on a pumpkin in the same way? Anyone tried it?
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

sratching kids names into veg skin is a fantastic idea - thanks, i'm goin to do that this year. Is it right that you should/could plant courgetes in the compost heap?

fiona b

Comment

Pumpkins Dilema!

I planted my Pumpkins seeds directly in to the garden & so far nothing has happened with two of them - has anyone a picture of a pumpkin seedling they can post as I have one 'plant' appear in the vicinity of one I planted, but I don't know whether this is a pumpkin seedling or just ANOTHER weed! If this is a weed, is it too late to start a batch in the house in pots??
                      How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

pumpkin seedling look just like courgette and marrow leaves they have large seed leaves about 1 inch across, slightly hairy but not as hairy as some weeds. They havc=ve strong stout stalks. watch for 2 days, if it is you pumpkin it'll double.
                        Digging Doc

Comment

Agree with Adam there... they don't look like spindly weed seedlings, and are hairy and big, even as seedlings... I'd post mine up but they're past seedling stage now so I'm not sure it will help you out... ?
                          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

This is a big seedling- I will check re Big and hairy! What this plant does do is fold up it's leaves in the evening then let them down in the day time - Pumpkin, or not pumpkin that is the question!
                            How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X