Yellow Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow Rhubarb

Hi, on my allotment I discovered rhubarb was growing. After getting rid of the weeds - I have found red and yellow rhubarb. I knwo the red is fine but cant seem to find anybody who knows why the rest of the rhubabr has yellow stalks.

Is this just a different type of rhubarb or has something gone wrong with it.

Hope somone can help

Is it definately rhubarb and not chard as they can be multicoloured?

I don't know anything about yellow rhubarb...?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Hi, I dont know what chard is - it looks identical to the rhubarb - same leaves,etc.... someone else has it on their plot next to their rhubarb but they are never there when I go, so I cant ask them!!!

Comment

Just found this picture. Funky stuff.

Comment

Pretty sure the pic is of chard. Very yummy but makes a rubbish crumble!

PJB

Comment

Gawdambugs if the stalks of the rhubarb are yellow and it has green leaves then it is just a different variety.
            [

Comment

Originally posted by PJB
              Pretty sure the pic is of chard. Very yummy but makes a rubbish crumble!

PJB
              Is it something kids may like. How do you have it? If you don't mine me asking. It would be a cool thing to grow for them visual wise.

Comment

Hi Strepsy

I'm sure other grapes could advise better but it's supposed to be quite attractive (esp. the multi stem-coloured ones) and I think you can treat the leaves like spinage and the stems like asparagus..?
                Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Spot on Shortie,

Leaves & Stem can be steamed. Looks very decorative & it isn't bothered by slugs & caterpillars likethe rest of the brassicas - well not on my plot anyway.

If you leave it to over winter it will self seed itself around your plot as well.
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

Strepsy - we grow this and the picture is that of swiss chard....yummy!! we steam it and then roll in butter , leaves and all! - v. tasty!!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for that. Sounds great, and easy too.

Comment

...young leaves are good in salad too. Kids make good imaginative use of bigger leaves too; nice sun hat, maybe a fan, decorating a makeshift tent (...we had rather a lot of it last year!)

PJB

Comment

We've got some of that! Will enjoy eating it once the blessed snails have all been dealt with and I have leaves without holes!
                          Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X