pumpkin bowls??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumpkin bowls??

I have grown some small pumpkins this year...
    just about soup bowl size.....you can see where this question is going....
    I would like to use the flesh for the soup and the shell for the bowls...
    Any ideas??
    Thanks kind people of the vine

There was a recipe for exactly this in the Telegraph Sat Magagine 2 or 3 weeks ago.....

From memory, they used 3lb pumpkins as being about the right size, and the soup was made from the pumpkin (obviously!) and also included some sweet potatoes and sage....

Sorry, that's not overly helpful, is it?

Comment

Wouldn't the hot soup make the shells go a bit wonky and wobbly? Not sure I'd fancy it myself. Now if you hollow out the shells and make the soup then put cold water in the bowls and float a few candles in them for table decoration, I'd be up for that.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        There was a recipe for exactly this in the Telegraph Sat Magagine 2 or 3 weeks ago.....

From memory, they used 3lb pumpkins as being about the right size, and the soup was made from the pumpkin (obviously!) and also included some sweet potatoes and sage....

Sorry, that's not overly helpful, is it?
        Do you mean this one Hazel luv?

PUMPKIN SOUP WITH SAGE LEAVES AND CROUTONS

Serves 4-6

Scrape out the pumpkin with a sharp spoon (a serrated grapefruit spoon works well) THIS BIT IS FOR HEADFRY and use the shell as a tureen for the soup, or carve it into the obligatory lantern.

For the croutons, cut the bread into grape-sized cubes or (for baguettes) thin slices.

Dribble with olive oil, scatter with salt and bake at 350F/180C/gas mark 4 for 10 minutes or until golden.

It's a sad truth that the really good, rustic, hand-made bread generally makes impossibly hard croutons. French bread or mass-produced loaves are the right thing for a crisp, melting result. Or cheat and buy ready-made croutons, such as the Merchant Gourmet brand from Sainsbury's, Budgens and independents.
        1 small pumpkin, about 3lb/1.5kg
        1 tbsp olive oil
        1 onion, sliced
        2 sticks of celery, sliced
        1 sprig of sage
        ½pint/280ml milk
        1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into grape sized chunks
        1 pint chicken or vegetable stock
        Croutons to serve

Cut a lid from the pumpkin and scoop out the seeds. With a sturdy metal spoon, scrape out the flesh.

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, celery and a couple of sage leaves, and cook until softened.

Add the milk and pumpkin, and simmer until soft.

Meanwhile, in another pan, cook the sweet potato in the stock until it, too, is soft. Strain, keeping the stock and adding it to the pumpkin pan.

Purée the pumpkin mixture in a blender, then run it through a sieve. Stir in the sweet potato chunks and reheat, tasting to check the seasoning. Serve scattered with a few more sage leaves and croutons.

Recipe from www.telegraph.co.uk
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

thanks so much, but would the soup get cold very quickly in the cold 'pumpkin bowls' ?

Comment

Hmmm, is there some way you could 'bake' the pumpkin bowls to harden them, and warm them at the same time?

Or I guess you could use maybe use something like yacht varnish on the outside to harden them, but then they wouldn't be very natural .... I'll keep thinking!!
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
              Do you mean this one Hazel luv?
              I most certainly did! Thanks for that, Scarey - and would like like a job as my pa?

Comment

I most certainly did! Thanks for that, Scarey - and would like like a job as my pa?
                Can I do it from here?
                X

Comment

The "bowls" should be fine as long as they are fresh (i.e. used the same day as you cut them and make the soup. The outside of pumpkins is quite stable until they start to rot, then they go downhill very quickly. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                    Can I do it from here?
                    X
                    Ah - I think we've just hit a snag!

Comment

Ah - I think we've just hit a snag!
                      Oh Bugger!

Comment

Any road up, Scarey is the wrong gender to be your pa. You could have an extra ma though!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X