tatty leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tatty leeks

Hello all. I,ve some healthy leeks growing well at the moment, but due to some windy days, they're getting a bit bedraggled . Nothing drastic, but some of the outer leaves have broken and have shriveled a bit. Should I pull (or cut these off ) or leave them on? I'll be grateful for any advice. Thanks-- Murray

If the leaves have broken completely, it may be as well to cut them off as they are of no value to the plant now. Well done on having healthy plants, mine are OK but are only the size of big spring onions. Still, better than last year when I lost the lot to leek moth.

Comment

Hi

I have some leeks still in, are they ok to leave in over the winter.
      They are still quite small.

T

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerella View Post
        Hi

I have some leeks still in, are they ok to leave in over the winter.
        They are still quite small.

T
        Yup, leave them where they are and cross your fingers they grow without flowering (as mine did last year). They will keep growing all winter long
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Shirl
          Glad to know I'm not the only one with thin leeks and that they will keep on growing through the winter.
          Should I be feeding them at all, they are in nice rich soil with added compost, look healthy enough - but thin.
          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
            Shirl
            Glad to know I'm not the only one with thin leeks and that they will keep on growing through the winter.
            Should I be feeding them at all, they are in nice rich soil with added compost, look healthy enough - but thin.
            Sue
            Nitrogen is the nutrient to give leaf growth.........the problem is it also encourages soft growth that won't withstand the rigours of winter. If I was you I'd forgo any feed at this time of year as it will probably do more harm than good!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi,

thanks, the odd ones that seemed to be going to seed I have eaten.
              But still maybe 20 still left.

T

Comment

I'd leave them where they are Murray. If some leaves are really tattered then cut them off. Otherwise start on your leek soup - whatever way you like it - and enjoy them from now until finished. They do stand well into the winter. Well hope so - cos mine are still out there.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Mine are the thinnest and tattiest I've ever grown too. I keep blaming the ridiculous year we've had weather-wise! However, I pulled two yesterday and with a couple of spuds, some of my still growing spring onions and a chilli I made a prestty decent soup for lunch. (And enough for 2 more servings this weekend.) If they taste that good they'll do. Where are the fat, chunky leeks of yester-year? (Bet Snadger's got 'em all!)
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X