Have I killed my Tuskan Kale?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I killed my Tuskan Kale?

I've just had my first boiling of my Tuscan kale (Toscana something or other!)
    Instead of taking the older leaves off, like I did last year, I decided to cut it's heart out with a knife! (ouch!!!) Consequently I've just eaten the most tender young shoots and very nice they were too!

I've only done this with 4 plants so will just have to wait and see what the outcome is?

Last years crop eventually went to seed in late Spring and the florets were delicious too!

Here's hoping that my hard pruning forces more succulent side shoots to appear!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Mmmm, I did this too. You will get some new shoots, but not as many as if you strip off the outer leaves first. Same thing with chard.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      I decided to cut it's heart out with a knife! (ouch!!!)

Are you sure it wasnt Mackem Kale Snadger
      Last edited by pigletwillie; 31-10-2007, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Ouch! That would have to be the red variety!

I've wondered when to start harvesting kale. I didn't want to leave the leaves too long and find they are tough. Will try picking the outer leaves soon to prompt new growth.
        Julie

Comment

I leave the thicker outer leaves on for some plant protection, and strip some but not all the intermediate leaves for eating, leaving the heart intact to continue sprouting more and more and more leaves.
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
            Are you sure it wasnt Mackem Kale Snadger
            HEY! That's me you're talkin about !!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
              HEY! That's me you're talkin about !!
              We all have our cross to bear SarzWix!
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by jaykay View Post
                I've wondered when to start harvesting kale. I didn't want to leave the leaves too long and find they are tough.
                You'll prob want to strip the green leaf from the white rib, which is a bit tough. Baby leaves can of course be eaten entire.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I had my first lot of kale a week ago. The tough outer leaves are now lace (some butterflies got under the net!) so in effect it was the middle leave I took - one or two from each plant. they seem none the worse. I'd be intereted to find out what happens with your 'beheaded' plants Snadger.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Snadger,how is your headless dino kale ? do they finally send some new shoots ?
                    I am planning to behead my dino kale too as they are reaching the cloache ( 65 cm).
                    I beheaded my early PSB a month earlier and to my surprise the send out some 3 to 4 shoots... hope it work the same with the dino kale too.

Momol
                    Last edited by momol; 09-12-2007, 05:51 PM.
                    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

You'll be pleased to know the beheaded tuscan is throwing up lots of young shoots! They look nice and tasty now, but I'm going to leave them a bit longer and compare full headed/beheaded versions! Watch this space!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger, will behead my Dino kale for X-mas.
                        And looking forward to hearing your Dino kale comparison...

Merry Christmas...

momol
                        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X