confused strawberries!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused strawberries!!

My plants have started flowering & setting fruit should I leave them to it or should I remove the fruit&/or flowers?

Mine are too. I just leave them to it.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yep, ours are confused as well. No strawbs during the summer and now we're getting lots.
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Cos there was no winter this year. I have cut all mine off to keep the strenght in the plant for winter....But I have also started to dig them up and put them in the Greenhouse for the winter...cos I am moving the bed.
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I got quite a few strawbs at the end of the 'summer' but now the plants look completely dead ... fingers crossed they survive the winter! Maybe you could provide a bit of protection and get a few late fruits??
          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I would be inclined to remove the fruit, flowers and old leaves to expose the crown ready for next year as per normal. Any frosts will damage the fruit cause potential fungal diseases to take a hold. Flowering now, unless they are perpetual types will reduce their crop come the summer and to be honest, unless they get lots of good sun, any fruit will struggle to ripen and the taste will be poor.

Comment

You're right Piglet, I'm just hacked off with my strawbs - they've been cut back 3 times this autumn, and still they keep coming!
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My strawberry bed is a tangled mess, the ruddy things just won't stop growing. I desperately need to get it sorted - maybe today or tomorrow. I also found a couple of ripening fruit last weekend, and some of the plants are flowering again!!

Comment

I am still picking away, ive decided to cover some with a cloche stop the frost getting them but Ive chopped all the other plants back to get them ready for next year. They are just about getting enough sun but this might be there last weekend before I remove them all as the cold weather is trying to get in my garden.
                  why not visit my blogg and see how im getting on... http://grownathome.blogspot.com/

Comment

mine are a mixture of dying, growing, runners and fruiting god knows what is going on i just think its this years dodgy weather
                    Last edited by snake the squadie; 27-10-2007, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X