Rhubarb's Fate

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb's Fate

I want to plant a pear tree around where the rhubard is. I'm happy to leave the rhubard where it is if it doesn't get in the way. I hear they're crown type root, meaning shallow root so would I be alright?

We don't eat rhubarb in this household but I try to give them away whenever I can. It grows so well year after year without ever looking after it so I have no heart to destroy it. If it helps, I wouldn't mind digging up some section of the plant for giving away for others to grow in their garden.
    Food for Free

When we wanted to dig out a rhubarb, we found that the woody crown was pretty extensive - so we chopped bits off and out with the spade till it was all gone - except we must have missed a load as it's kept popping back up all summer!

Why dont you dig round the crown a bit then chop down to split a couple of decent bits off to plant elsewhere then carry on digging out the rest so you can put in the pear tree without worrying whether you'e killed the plant or not. I bet that you'll find that some of the original rhubarb survives anyway, and if not, you'll still have the new plants ready to start growing in the spring.

Comment

I think they -or the tree may not do well if planted too close ( stirring some long forgotten memory cells there folks)

Am I right????
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        When we wanted to dig out a rhubarb, we found that the woody crown was pretty extensive - so we chopped bits off and out with the spade till it was all gone - except we must have missed a load as it's kept popping back up all summer!

Why dont you dig round the crown a bit then chop down to split a couple of decent bits off to plant elsewhere then carry on digging out the rest so you can put in the pear tree without worrying whether you'e killed the plant or not. I bet that you'll find that some of the original rhubarb survives anyway, and if not, you'll still have the new plants ready to start growing in the spring.
        Thanks Hazel for relating your experience with the 'unkillable' rhubarb. Come to think of it, I might have tried to kill it once. I'll try and remove as much as I can for giving it away. No point taking chance, I would think the pear tree roots would definitely spread like crazy...well into rhubard territory.
        Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X