Calabrese flavour

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calabrese flavour

I am a big fan of calabrese. I could eat it every day, with anything.

I grow a few plants each year, but I have never managed to get anything with a decent flavour - it seems that the shop-bought ones have something extra.

As far as I can remember, I have grown:

Sakura
    Tiara
    Hydra

...and a couple of others, but nothing will jog my memory!

Anyone have great flavoured Calabrese? Which variety do you grow and how do you grow it?

Hi Cutecumber,
    the Marathon I have grown this year tasted really good, my first attempt so I was really pleased. Shocked by the amount of caterpillars hiding though when it came to harvest time!

LL
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Ah yes, caterpillars! Don't you love them

Marathon is widely grown and mentioned, that's for sure.
      I shall put it on my list to try.

Comment

Sorry have no experience of growing calabrese/broccoli yet. But I thought I'd mention this veg called Chinese Broccoli (aka Kailaan, Gailan, Chinese Kale etc) which although is a little like Pak Choi, the leaves are thicker just like any typical calabrese leaves, frosted green in colour.

The stems can vary from being very thick (like broccoli) to thinner type of typical leafy veg. They're tasty in Chinese stir-fry. Gosh, I'm feeling hungry already!

I bought the seeds and although the seed packet says I can grow them upto October, I got lazy and partly skeptical that they would germinate as it's getting too cold now and besides, not many of my cauli and cabbage germinated.
        Food for Free

Comment

I've looked into Kailaan, too, as it happens. It's supposed to be very quick growing. Haven't got any seed yet, but it's only a matter of time!

I am a big fan of green veg including oriental brassicas (until they get a bit too strong!).

I am trying Texsel Greens, too this winter... not sure what they'll be like.

Comment

Hi CC,

I encourage you to grow Kai Lan, they taste very nice, just styr fry them ( has grown them for the seconde year by now), the taste is much nicer than collards ( sweeter and the texture are smoother ) and they don't have that strong cabbage smell. But I never tried growing Kai lan in the winter ( they do best during spring and autumn ).

momol
            I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Just thought I would add that I had some wonderful Red Russian kale tonight for my dinner. I didn't grow it, sadly, it came in an organic veg box.

It was truly lovely, both in flavour and in texture.

If you have had Kale in the past and you weren't quite sure, get some Red Russian. It's gentle and fragrant. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X