Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to harvest Purple Sprouting Broccoli?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to harvest Purple Sprouting Broccoli?

Hi all,

It's been my first time growing PSB and after many many months, there's finally something purple! My question is when to harvest it... When I've bought it from the shops before, it was long stems with small florets. Mine is currently more like a Calabrese head, but not as tight, somewhere in between I suppose. Do I just need to keep waiting, or should I be harvesting it as it is?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200404_131937.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	859.9 KB
ID:	2386840

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200404_132058.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	903.6 KB
ID:	2386841

Comment

Start with picking the biggest heads at the top, that will encourage more side shoots. Then just keep picking enough for a meal regularly before any of the "flowers" go to seed. They should give you a continuous crop for a few weeks with any luck. Different varieties have different length stems.

Comment

You can eat it at any stage really, but I prefer it when the heads are quite tight. We are forecast some warm weather and you will find it grows fast, so I'd start picking it now. Start with the top. If you cut the sideshoots, leave a bit of stem with buds on if there are any, and they will make new shoots.
        A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I’ve nothing to add you’ve had some excellent advice Roodles enjoy your PSB.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The leave on your plants look well chewed. If its caterpillars then not a problem now but if pigeons you need to be quick or they will be back.

Comment

I normally like to leave a few of the smaller leaves on the 'shoots' when cooking.
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Bumping this thread ( advice needed)

Hi folks. I've never grown Broccoli, don't know why, but always thought it was too hard. Anyhow, we're right in the middle of this sad crisis and seeds are about as rare as hens teeth. However, the Wife has managed to get some purple sprouting broccoli in seed form as the plants were so expensive.

Now it says put them directly into a bed then thin them out, but I wondered if they could be started in trays, then transplanted or is that a bad move. Any advice would be welcome.

Comment

I always start brassicas in trays/modules - and plant them out when big enough.

Actually, I sow very few seeds direct- just some of the root crops.

Comment

Thanks veggie,
                    I was going to go down that route as the safest really. I think these are over wintering as the harvest date isn't until next Feb. i'll give it a go anyhow.

Comment

Calabrese is autumn cropping and purple sprouting in spring. There are some summer and early cropping broccolis as well - depends on what you can get at the moment.

Comment

Just a word of warning. Every time I have had brassica modules in the greenhouse I have fried them. They don't like being too hot.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                          Just a word of warning. Every time I have had brassica modules in the greenhouse I have fried them. They don't like being too hot.
                          Very good point that. I also saw this on youtube. Someone had started them off in the greenhouse, although it was still quite cold. I once tried sprouts off in the greeenhouse, that didn't work too well. It was about June though. lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X