squashes ready?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squashes ready?

Can anyone help. I planted 'Hooligan' & 'Sweet Lightening' squashes which have reached the size they should be now, but do I pick them now or leave them to ripen more if we have any more sun, how will I know they are ready ? This is the first time I have grown them.

I've grown squashes for the first time this year too.

You can pick them at any time/stage, if you intend to eat fairly soon - have them 'in the green' so to speak, but if you intend to store for any length of time, you will need to cure them. On the plant and in the sun is the best (but DON'T let them get a frost!), but if you have problems (we have phantom vegetable nickers on our lottie, so prefer to harvest asap) I have left mine in the sun (and rain!) for 2 weeks on the patio. The squashes give a good solid hollow thud now when knocked with knuckles and apparently this means they are fully cured for storage.

I don't think we'll risk storing them until spring, but to be honest they are not going to get a chance to last that long.

Roasted Veg. Squash curry. veggie squash bolognese. Pie...........

So many recipes, so few squashes!!

ENJOY!!

lcg

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I picked one yesterday and it was fab tasting. Will probably get through the rest pretty quickly!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X