First Time Butternut Squash attempt.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time Butternut Squash attempt.

My Friend has just given me a Butternut Squash plant. He has never done one before and neither have I. It’s about two foot tall with a few flower buds. He grew it outside as he has no GH.

Should I pop it into my GH? I also get the gut feeling it’s a bit late. Any advice welcome.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Hi Rob. I think you'll probably find that your gut feeling is right - it's almost definitely too late now to get a crop. Nothing to lose by planting it in ou greenhouse though.

Comment

It is late in the day, but the greenhouse will be your best bet. You've not lost anything if you get nothing from it
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

It is a bit late, but you'll never know for sure if you don't give it a go. Definitely try it in the greenhouse and hand pollinate any female flowers that come along. Don't trust to pollinators doing it for you in the greenhouse.

Light levels make a difference, but so does temperature. When's your first frost?

Comment

Nothing lost, nothing gained, give it a go in the GH.
          Last edited by Can the Man; 22-08-2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            When's your first frost?
            Nov 11th

Comment

I can't really see you getting anything ripe from it this late but worth a try if you have the space. My advice would be once you have maybe 2-3 fruit starting to develop stop any of the other flowers/fruit to try and give them a chance to ripen. You say it's 2 foot tall so sounds like it is being grown vertically, you will need strong supports once the fruits develop.

Comment

This:
                "Fruits are typically ready about 50-55 days after fruit set, and should be harvested before any hard frosts."
                From here:
                https://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-...formation.html

I agree with everyone else: you're unlikely to get any fruit, but what a sense of achievement if you pull it off. Good luck. Let us know how you do.
                Last edited by Snoop Puss; 23-08-2019, 01:27 PM.

Comment

My plants are still producing flowers and I am still pollinating them, that said I do have 8 fruits in various stages of growth. Decent sized fruits can be ripened off the plant, I did a couple in our conservatory last year, just remember to leave some stem on the fruit when picking, you need a "T" shape apparently.

Comment

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X