harrogare-august
harrogare-august

Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 18
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: "Eggs scandal"

  1. #9
    Snadger's Avatar
    Snadger is online now Dundiggin
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne (Is there a nice bit?)
    Posts
    22,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I find them scary and even the thought of them pecking round my feet makes me shudder, especially if I've got any bare flesh showing. Have thought about getting chicks (which aren't scary) and then I'd already be attached to them before they got the pecky walk and evil eyes but quite a risk and anyway wouldn't be able to get to the plot daily so wouldn't be practical.
    I took one of my grandchildren to the plot thinking i would let him see where his eggs came from. I was quite surprised but at 11 years old he was panic stricken and wouldn't come into the run!
    It's maybe how you are brought up. My Uncle had a small holding and I was always there building him chook houses out of scap wood when i was a kid and generally being around the inquisitive chooks. I was told to stay clear of the cockerel but I used to tease him and he used to chase me! I still have a healthy respect for cockerels, but don't fear them!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

    Diversify & prosper



  2. #10
    Scarlet's Avatar
    Scarlet is offline O'Hara
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Just over the bridge
    Posts
    14,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I find them scary and even the thought of them pecking round my feet makes me shudder, especially if I've got any bare flesh showing. Have thought about getting chicks (which aren't scary) and then I'd already be attached to them before they got the pecky walk and evil eyes but quite a risk and anyway wouldn't be able to get to the plot daily so wouldn't be practical.
    I think having them as chicks would make a difference - they will peck your feet if you wear sandals and there is bare skin showing (it doesn't hurt). We have had a few kids that have been afraid of chickens and dogs here over the years. One lad in particular was petrified of my dog and I had to keep the dog locked in the house in the early days - he loves dogs now.
    I always wanted to keep a few pigs, my brothers worked on a pig farm for some extra pennies as teens so I knew what they were like but 30years is a long time I looked in at the farm nearby as they were selling off their piglets for rearing - I was so petrified of the big ones that It scuppered my chances of having some of our own pork.

    If you really wanted chicks there are some gadgets that you can set up so that you don't need to visit every day. Feeders often only need topping up after a few days, several buckets as drinking water, a roll away nest box and an an auto opener to make them safe at night. They put themselves to bed.

  3. #11
    lottie dolly's Avatar
    lottie dolly is offline Gardening Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    north leicester
    Posts
    8,988

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    I find them scary and even the thought of them pecking round my feet makes me shudder, especially if I've got any bare flesh showing. Have thought about getting chicks (which aren't scary) and then I'd already be attached to them before they got the pecky walk and evil eyes but quite a risk and anyway wouldn't be able to get to the plot daily so wouldn't be practical.
    I would not go in the pen with bare feet,i get one who will have a peck at bright colors on my frock,but not all the while,just put a hand down and they go away,mine are all different just so i get to know who is who,even their noises are different like the human voice is,they are more scared of you,than you off them,a visitor said yesterday,they are talking to you back,just get 2 for now,chat to them in chicken as you handle them,they will not turn round and peck you,they tend to look away,as for evil eyes,when you out and about like sitting in a cafe ext,just have a look at some humans,the eyes only,and see how scary and evil some are,for me it's not all about the eggs,but then i am a daft bat when it comes to talking with some animals,after all they have feeling too.
    Another nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

  4. #12
    Scarlet's Avatar
    Scarlet is offline O'Hara
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Just over the bridge
    Posts
    14,059

    Default

    I must admit they love my freckles! I kept bantams to start. They don't lay as many eggs and the eggs are smaller but a proper fresh egg tastes a million times better than anything else.

  5. #13
    Snadger's Avatar
    Snadger is online now Dundiggin
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne (Is there a nice bit?)
    Posts
    22,236

    Default

    I prefer bantam eggs as they have a higher yolk to white ratio, the yolks being the same size as large fowl eggs! Thats why omelettes/scambled egg made with bantam eggs always seem to be bright yellow!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

    Diversify & prosper



  6. #14
    Gillykat's Avatar
    Gillykat is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Alnwick, Northumberland
    Posts
    638

    Default

    I must admit I'm torn as to what type to go for......should I get some ex-batts (and give them a spoilt rotten retirement like we used to do with the old cats) or get some young bantams? I'm not bothered about having a cockerel as ~ soft moo that I am ~ my chickens will be more as pets and allotment companions than just there ONLY for meat or eggs I've been doing a lot of reading & research (and making notes) and saving photos on Pinterest as to designs of coops and runs for Neil to build I've also found someone who specialises in looking after folks' chickens if they're on holiday etc AND found a vet in our town who is experienced in poultry and actually has his own too.

    Our allotment is barely quarter of a mile from where we live and only takes 7 minutes to walk to (and it's uphill too!) - I timed myself the other week! So daily visits twice a day (if needed) wouldn't be a problem at all.....if I was at work on early or evening shift then Neil could easily do it....I'm sure I could train him to look after my precious girls.
    Quite a few of our neighbours have chickens and it's so lovely to hear the various clucks and noises they make - must agree with your psychiatrist neighbour about how relaxing and soothing their sounds are....I'll often watch chicken videos on youtube and LOVE the noises the birds make.

    When we first got the allotment in 2015 the guy opposite had a big flock of 40+ chickens and a cockerel that was forever getting out. I would often give him some food (half a biscuit or so - whatever we had handy in the car) and he seemed quite friendly. One day I made the mistake of going to stroke his breast as he took some biscuit crumbs from me and crikey....he didn't 'alf kick me!!! I never realised they were so strong!!!

    It'll probably be next Spring before I do get any chickens though because we've got the polytunnel to pull down, a new shorter one to rebuild and then a coop & run to build but it WILL happen.
    Looking forward to growing crops in 2017

  7. #15
    Alison's Avatar
    Alison is offline Gardening Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Warrington, Cheshire
    Posts
    13,257

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snadger View Post
    I took one of my grandchildren to the plot thinking i would let him see where his eggs came from. I was quite surprised but at 11 years old he was panic stricken and wouldn't come into the run!
    It's maybe how you are brought up. My Uncle had a small holding and I was always there building him chook houses out of scap wood when i was a kid and generally being around the inquisitive chooks. I was told to stay clear of the cockerel but I used to tease him and he used to chase me! I still have a healthy respect for cockerels, but don't fear them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I think having them as chicks would make a difference - they will peck your feet if you wear sandals and there is bare skin showing (it doesn't hurt). We have had a few kids that have been afraid of chickens and dogs here over the years. One lad in particular was petrified of my dog and I had to keep the dog locked in the house in the early days - he loves dogs now.
    Quote Originally Posted by lottie dolly View Post
    I would not go in the pen with bare feet,i get one who will have a peck at bright colors on my frock,but not all the while,just put a hand down and they go away,mine are all different just so i get to know who is who,even their noises are different like the human voice is,they are more scared of you,than you off them,a visitor said yesterday,they are talking to you back,just get 2 for now,chat to them in chicken as you handle them,they will not turn round and peck you,they tend to look away,as for evil eyes,when you out and about like sitting in a cafe ext,just have a look at some humans,the eyes only,and see how scary and evil some are,for me it's not all about the eggs,but then i am a daft bat when it comes to talking with some animals,after all they have feeling too.
    No, am pretty scared of all birds, it's a recognised phobia, mum's even worse. Was brought up in a very rural area and remember it being a problem at friends' houses when I was a wee dot as so many people I knew had chooks. Also, not talking about being round them in bare feet or sandals, talking about any part of my leg. Was very brave at some gardens once and didn't run when some geese came over. One of them pecked the back of my leg, hurt even through thick tights and I couldn't have worn them again. Have just shuddered typing that. Love almost any animal but can't abide any birds.

    Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

    Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

  8. #16
    Potstubsdustbins's Avatar
    Potstubsdustbins is offline Gardening Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    9,905

    Default

    Geese well recognised as the best of rural guards.

    Many years ago I and a couple of friends had a shoot round Litton & Wardlow in the Peaks. After we had finished we always used to go to The Three Stags Head on the A623 for breakfast, the pub was attached to a farm, fresh eggs, home cured bacon, fried bread, field mushrooms in season the full works.

    However there was one golden rule, hen or duck eggs were in a basin in the kitchen but if you wanted a goose egg............fetch your own, picking up a sweeping brush on the way out back, if the gander was about there was always going to be trouble.
    Nannysally99 likes this.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

    By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.


    We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

    Aesop 620BC-560BC


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts