+ Reply to Thread
Results 16 to 19 of 19
- 18-11-2009, 10:34 AM #16Germinator
- Join Date
- Sep 2009
Fact Sheets on Hens
Really glad you found the fact sheets helpful. As we said, we change and update them constantly as we find out new bits of info
Our biggest surprise with people is the worming, people think to worm their dogs and cats but often have never wormed their hens. People say their hens are old and have just stopped laying. More often than not, we suggest worming, and these 'old' hens start laying again!
We are busy rearing turkeys for Christmas at the moment, but from January we start selling chicks for people to raise as table birds at home - as people are much more aware of the conditions poultry are kept in these days. We usually have growers or POL all year round though.
Jo and Stewart Barling Poultry - Essex Based Suppliers of Chickens and Waterfowl and Accessories
Last edited by BarlingPoultry; 18-11-2009 at 10:36 AM.
- 18-11-2009, 02:05 PM #17Early Fruiter
- Join Date
- Mar 2009
- North Norfolk
I think a lot of people don't think about what hens need, BP. I've lost count of the times people have said to me, "oh chickens are easy to keep, you don't need to do anything to them". So I think, but what about de-lousing, de-worming etc etc. These people are also the ones who turn round and ask "why are my hens not laying?" It's amazing how many people replace their chickens after a year or two saying they are not laying any more. It's usually because of healthcare issues that they are not laying, rather than they are old or spent.
- 19-11-2009, 04:26 PM #18Sprouter
- Join Date
- Sep 2008
- Sissinghurst, Kent
great thread - hopefully one of my girls is moulting rather than about to pop off!
- 09-04-2012, 09:24 AM #19
Hi folks, I just found this on the web. Its about rearing poultry in Africa and Asia as a backyard business and is full of useful stuff about coops, feeding, brooding and disease. Just ignore things such as ' dangers to free ranging poultry - falling coconuts' and its bursting with useful info. Its a short doc and not too technica. Happy reading!
- By lbr102 in forum General chitchatReplies: 8Last Post: 02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
- By pink-angel29 in forum Rule the RoostReplies: 10Last Post: 18-11-2010, 12:57 PM
- By The Nichols' in forum Rule the RoostReplies: 7Last Post: 12-04-2010, 01:45 PM
- By nribs in forum Rule the RoostReplies: 13Last Post: 04-12-2009, 11:34 PM
- By di in forum Allotment AdviceReplies: 2Last Post: 17-05-2008, 06:26 PM