+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 17
Thread: Sterilising jars in microwave?
- 10-01-2009, 11:38 PM #1
Sterilising jars in microwave?
Can jam and storage jars be effectively sterilised (after proper washing) in a microwave... instead of the usual oven ways?
- 10-01-2009, 11:43 PM #2
I always sterilise jam jars in the microwave, just clean them as normal and rinse, but leave them 'wet'. then pop them into the microwave for about a minute.
hope this helpsKernow rag nevra
Cornwall Not England
Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
- 11-01-2009, 12:29 AM #3
Just don't do what OH did and pour boiling water into a kilner jar, they explodeI you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!
- 11-01-2009, 05:56 PM #4Germinator
- Join Date
- Dec 2008
You have to leave the jar a little bit damp, as microwaves work by heating up the water particles in food. The jar will sterilize fine this way.
- 12-01-2009, 11:59 AM #5
- 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM #6Rooter
- Join Date
- Mar 2008
- Glasgow, Scotland
Never thought of this. Much easier than using pan of boiling water. Will have to try it.
- 13-01-2009, 10:07 AM #7
Ok will try this next time, I have also broken a kiln jar by pouring boiling water in. If using kiln jars is it ok to put the seals in or what is the best way to sterilise these jars.
- 13-01-2009, 08:20 PM #8
- Join Date
- Jul 2006
- Near Skipton
- Blog Entries
- 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM #9
Thank goodness I read this thread before I just sterilized some bottles!Bernie aka DDL
Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things
- 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM #10
i sterilised some jars in the m/wave last year and was told to put water in them....just about blew the m/wave up - water all over the place! just use the oven now!"A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."
- By ddiogyn in forum Season to TasteReplies: 13Last Post: 28-06-2010, 01:55 PM
- By CaroltheCarrot in forum Making the Most…Replies: 4Last Post: 27-04-2010, 04:45 PM
- By WeeGarden in forum Making the Most…Replies: 8Last Post: 13-09-2009, 04:57 PM
- By jackyspratty in forum Making the Most…Replies: 5Last Post: 19-08-2009, 10:18 PM
- By pigletwillie in forum Season to TasteReplies: 52Last Post: 26-02-2009, 05:54 PM