Subs
Subs

Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 58
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: Dahlias

  1. #1
    johnjohn's Avatar
    johnjohn is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    564

    Default Dahlias

    I've not grown dahlias before but we now have some extra space and myself and my plot neighbour are going to grow some this year at the allotment. Apart from perennials at home I've not much experience with flower gardening

    I understand about dividing the tubers and I've read up on propagating from cuttings which is something that appeals but my question is, if I start my tubers off now with a view to taking cuttings is it still viable to divide the tubers after I have all the cuttings I need and will these tubers produce?

    I've tried the search function which throws up a huge amount of posts about them but none that I can find answers this question.

    Thanks all
    Jonny.D likes this.

  2. #2
    Martin H's Avatar
    Martin H is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Hornchurch, Essex
    Posts
    4,537
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default

    Morning!

    My experience of first-year tubers is that they aren't usually big enough to split up: they don't produce enough shoots. Once you've grown a nice big plant from it you'll easily be able to divide it next spring.

    Good luck with the cuttings. My own experience is mixed, they seem to rot at least as often as they take. Dividing the tubers is much more certain because you can do it once they have started to grow and you can see what's what. So that's what I do.
    burnie, johnjohn and Jonny.D like this.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 28th October 2016
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

  3. #3
    burnie is offline Veggie gardener
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Angus,Scotland
    Posts
    2,390

    Default

    I have grown from tubers in the past, with mixed success, one of my favourite flowers, can you grow them in pots? If so, do you still remove them from the soil to over winter?

  4. #4
    Norfolkgrey's Avatar
    Norfolkgrey is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    You get one guess :)
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    You haven't mentioned seed - don't know if there is a reason for that. But it is a cheap and easy way to grow them and if you are not fussed about colours you don't have to worry so much about overwintering your tubers.

    Just a thought
    bramble, johnjohn and Jonny.D like this.

  5. #5
    johnjohn's Avatar
    johnjohn is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    You haven't mentioned seed - don't know if there is a reason for that. But it is a cheap and easy way to grow them and if you are not fussed about colours you don't have to worry so much about overwintering your tubers.

    Just a thought
    Funny you should mention that, on my way to the plot I picked up a couple of packets- I have Dwarf Double Mixed and Pompom Mixed, hope to get them sown today.
    Jungle Jane likes this.

  6. #6
    johnjohn's Avatar
    johnjohn is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
    Morning!

    My experience of first-year tubers is that they aren't usually big enough to split up: they don't produce enough shoots. Once you've grown a nice big plant from it you'll easily be able to divide it next spring.

    Good luck with the cuttings. My own experience is mixed, they seem to rot at least as often as they take. Dividing the tubers is much more certain because you can do it once they have started to grow and you can see what's what. So that's what I do.
    Thanks Martin, perhaps I'll just plant the tubers I have this year and then next year divide them and use some for cuttings and see how I get on. I'm going to grow some from seed that I picked up today so should have plenty available to experiment with, cheers.

  7. #7
    johnjohn's Avatar
    johnjohn is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by burnie View Post
    I have grown from tubers in the past, with mixed success, one of my favourite flowers, can you grow them in pots? If so, do you still remove them from the soil to over winter?
    From what I have read- bearing in mind as I've already indicated, I know nothing- you can grow them in pots. I think dwarf or certainly smaller varieties are more commonly pot grown. As far as overwintering is concerned whilst you could remove the tubers it seems quite common practice to insulate the pot so maybe a layer of straw on top and then bubble wrap or decent fleece?
    burnie likes this.

  8. #8
    mothhawk's Avatar
    mothhawk is offline Mature Fruiter
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leics
    Posts
    6,359

    Default

    I'm growing from seed for the first time this year. Do you just let them get on with it, or pinch out the tips or what?
    Jonny.D and Jungle Jane like this.
    Live well. Laugh often. Love much.

    Most days are plain old stones, but sometimes you get a diamond

    Gardening is as much about dreaming as it is about doing

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts