+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Thread: When to pick my melons
- 22-07-2009, 03:56 PM #1Sprouter
- Join Date
- Feb 2009
- N/E Herts
When to pick my melons
Lo all, I feel quite fortunate in that I purchased a pack of assorted melon seeds ( 4 types) to try in my placie greenhouse and having germinated them and then planted them in grow bags in the greenhouse they are thriving. This suprises me in the U.K as I've read of melons failing quite a lot here.
I have two small problems.
1) I dont know the variety names as I have lost the packet. To be honest I never thought I'd get any fruit so was a bit slack there.
2) Without the packet I'm not sure how large they grow so have no idea when to pick them.
Does anyone have any guidence on when to pick melons/tell they are ready.
I have searched google and can't find the pack of assorted melon seeds for sale to see what they were , I'm sure I bought them from Thompson Morgan but they must have stopped selling them. Maybe I'll find that packet !
Cheers Mas'3000 volts says the ducks
are mine foxey !'
- 22-07-2009, 04:03 PM #2Cropper
- Join Date
- Apr 2007
When you start to smell an intense "Melon" smell then they are getting very near to be picked, make sure you give them some good support until that time
- 22-07-2009, 04:23 PM #3
They are ripe when the the bottom of them starts to feel an ickle bit soft too although that might not work for the thicker skinned varieties.
Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.
Which one are you and is it how you want to be?
I think I may have read somewhere they are ripe when the stem splits or cracks.http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com
Updated 23rd February 2009
- By HeyWayne in forum General chitchatReplies: 30Last Post: 16-07-2010, 10:54 AM
- By teamladd in forum Grapes RecommendationsReplies: 15Last Post: 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
- By Flobalob in forum The Seed SwapReplies: 0Last Post: 16-02-2009, 07:17 PM
- By Flobalob in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 0Last Post: 16-02-2009, 06:53 PM
- By burnie in forum Vegging OutReplies: 10Last Post: 10-09-2006, 07:44 AM