+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 13
- 17-06-2009, 08:01 PM #1
Cherry trees with red leaves, any ideas
We've got a tree in the garden which we've always assumed is ornamental. However, this year it's full of fruits, all look like cherries with cherry like stones in the middle.
I've tasted one and they taste like a cross between cherries and tiny plums. They're the same as cherries inside so I'm working on the basis that if it looks like, tastes like and feels like a cherry it probably is.
Bark is cherry like also but I've never seen one with red leaves.
Any ideas?TonyF, Dordogne 24220
- 17-06-2009, 08:03 PM #2
- 17-06-2009, 09:44 PM #3
Ooh, it sounds like the same one we have overhanging our drive. It has deep burgundy leaves. I just noticed today it has a lot of fruit, never seen them in previous years.
I briefly considered tasting it, but got distracted -you're one step ahead of me Tony!
- 18-06-2009, 05:51 AM #4
- 18-06-2009, 08:00 AM #5Happy Gardening,
- 18-06-2009, 03:18 PM #6
- 18-06-2009, 04:52 PM #7
So is mine but I think it's the same family.TonyF, Dordogne 24220
- 19-06-2009, 01:50 PM #8
Aha, the plot thickens, it's NOT a chokeberry it's a cherry plum - the pics are an exact match!
Cherry plum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaTonyF, Dordogne 24220
- 19-06-2009, 03:57 PM #9
Hmm, that looks more like mine too!
I think mine is still a fair bit darker, but it is much closer to this one.
- 19-06-2009, 04:06 PM #10
I found this picture of Prunus cerasifera 'nigra'
I reckon that's exactly what I have. I'm going to go out now and pick some to make jam -yum!
- By Qzy in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 2Last Post: 21-09-2010, 08:38 PM
- By northmaid in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 6Last Post: 21-01-2010, 11:19 PM
- By aylithuk in forum The Flower MillReplies: 1Last Post: 25-01-2009, 01:07 PM
- By lizdocs in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 3Last Post: 23-12-2008, 01:25 PM
- By Tigerella in forum Feeling FruityReplies: 0Last Post: 31-08-2007, 09:39 AM