Greenhouse Sensations
Greenhouse Sensations

Grow Your Own Magazine

Navbar button growfruitandveg.co.uk Logo
Forum Navigation

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 50
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Recommendations for where to buy fruit trees

  1. #9
    GBax is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ascot, Berks
    Posts
    115

    Default

    In term of russet i presume you mean Egremont Russet - please note ER is only partially self fertile so will do better with a friend to cross pollinate
    Last edited by GBax; 29-03-2017 at 01:04 PM.

  2. #10
    sparrow100's Avatar
    sparrow100 is offline Early Fruiter
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    If you're looking for a russet, can I plug Ashmead's Kernel? The apples are fantastic, by far the best russet I've ever eaten.

    I've had really good results from trees from Blackmoors, Brogdale and Ashridge. Some of the trees through Brogdale are also Blackmoors, as they grow for a number of suppliers and garden centres.
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

  3. #11
    veggiechicken's Avatar
    veggiechicken is online now One of the Nutters!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunshiny South Wales
    Posts
    49,954
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    .............and I'd plug https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/brownlees-russet with its pink blossom.
    sparrow100 likes this.
    Look on the bright side

  4. #12
    d000hg is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    North East (south-facing sun trap)
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flynch View Post
    Have you considered what rootstock you want your tree on?
    I've considered that while i know this is important, i don't know anything about it!

    Quote Originally Posted by GBax View Post
    In term of russet i presume you mean Egremont Russet - please note ER is only partially self fertile so will do better with a friend to cross pollinate
    of the same type, or just any other apple tree?

  5. #13
    fishpond is offline Tuber
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    HAMPSHIRE
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    1) I've considered that while i know this is important, i don't know anything about it!


    2) of the same type, or just any other apple tree?
    My ER is approx 18ft tall on MM106, you could go for M26 which would be smaller by 3 or 4 feet.(explained on Blackmoors site, see below)
    MM106
    Semi vigorous, Approximate height 4-5 metres when mature.

    M26
    Semi dwarfing, Approximate height 3-4 metres when mature.

    M27
    Very dwarfing, Approximate height 1.8 metres when mature.
    All of the above sizes are approximate, as site and soil play a big part in ultimate size.

    2) Any Apple in pollination group 2 or 1 either side (either 1 or 3), even a neighbours tree will do the job.(within approx 100 feet)
    Last edited by fishpond; 30-03-2017 at 03:55 AM.
    Feed the soil, not the plants.
    (helps if you have cluckies)

    Man v Squirrels & Ants (sole breeder of Tomper)
    Bob

  6. #14
    flynch is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    113

    Default

    If you have crab apples near by you should be fine with just one tree, if not and no neighbours have keepers nursery have a pollination partners guide.

  7. #15
    flynch is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishpond View Post
    My ER is approx 18ft tall on MM106, you could go for M26 which would be smaller by 3 or 4 feet.(explained on Blackmoors site, see below)
    MM106
    Semi vigorous, Approximate height 4-5 metres when mature.

    M26
    Semi dwarfing, Approximate height 3-4 metres when mature.

    M27
    Very dwarfing, Approximate height 1.8 metres when mature.
    All of the above sizes are approximate, as site and soil play a big part in ultimate size.

    2) Any Apple in pollination group 2 or 1 either side (either 1 or 3), even a neighbours tree will do the job.(within approx 100 feet)
    Add M9 dwarf 2.5 metres fruiting in 2-3rd year

    M25 vigorous well over 5metres fruiting 5-6 year

    M26 fruiting 3-4th year

    M27 fruiting in the 2 year

    Please note that can be greatly affected by the variety, season, soil ext.

    If you want a large tree m106 or m116. For a backyard tree I stick with m26 nice size tree without too much hassle. Have many on m9 and m27 requires permanent staking and watering more often in dry spells and of course less fruit per tree

  8. #16
    flynch is offline Sprouter
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    113

    Default

    You could get an ER and a brownlees russet, that would give you pollination for both and russet apples for mid and late season.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts